Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to a pdf file

Status
Not open for further replies.

jovan40

Programmer
Dec 11, 2001
US
I have been trying to create an action that will link a button to a pdf file within the same directory. Can anyone help with this.

This should work:

on (press){
getURL ("yourfile.pdf");
} Regards,
TulsaJeff

cd_tektips.gif

I case this is for a local use, you can probably use what I suggested in another thread about opening video files in their designated or default players.

For instance both of the following, will usually open a .txt file in notepad for example:

on(press){
fscommand ("exec", "notepad" + chr(9) + "note.txt");
}

on(press){
fscommand ("exec", "start" + chr(9) + "note.txt");
}

The same should work if your replace "notepad" with your pdfviewer's application name (without the .exe extension) and your .pdf file as:

on(press){
fscommand ("exec", "AcroRd32" + chr(9) + "your.pdf");
}

Regards,
new.gif

I tried the
on (press){
getURL ("yourfile.pdf");
}

in the button, but it is not even opeining a window. Nothing happens. Any further thought on what I am doing wrong.

is this for local use or online? If it is local then you will have to do as OLd has suggested and use the FSCommand but if it is for the web then it should be working. Regards,
TulsaJeff

cd_tektips.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back