Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting to a LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
I've got an old Compaq Presario 2230 which has a HCF modem port. It doesn't have any expansion slots. Is it possible to connect the HCF modem to a lan? I've seen some RJ10 to RJ45 converters in Maplins but I don't know if it can be used for connecting a modem port to a LAN.

Once I've got it physically connected, what should I do to logically connect it to the LAN?

Well if you had USB2 you could use a wireless adapter.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. It doesn't have USB either so the only networking options are the serial/paralllel ports.

And parallel to ethernet. Xircom for one, probably used off ebay.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I'm actually thinking parallel to parallel. I've got an old cable which I used to use for parallel to parallel on win95. Failing that, I've got a crossover serial to serial.

Interesting. I wonder how that works.

I've got Win98 at one end and Win XP/2K at the other. On XP/2K, I can use a new connection, serial ... for serial to serial. If I'm going serial to ethernet on Win98, presumably I don't need to do that.

Wonder what speed it operates at. Even 10Mbits/s is too fast for a serial port. In the UK, the cable is about £13, not as cheap as in the US.

That looks like a cable, not an adapter. If I'm not mistaken, it takes some processing to get from serial protocol to TCP/IP.

Tony

Users helping Users...

That's what I thought - the adapters cost in the $100-$200 region. I used to use them on modbus when we were changing from serial to ethernet.

Guess I'll just stick to parallel to parallel on overnight transfers.

Didn't you use kermit for serial transfers in the good old days? The dump of all the sources of all the versions of kermit was huge - 2x2400 ft tapes. You just had to sift through the whole lot to find the versions for both machines, build them and you got a data transfer program.

Yeah, Ms. Piggy's friend... I remember that all too well...

or the usage of a Nibbler, that copied floppies over the phone line, at 300 baud (later at 1200 baud)...

glad those days are over, and we have 1gig ethernet in most PC's these days...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Yeah, if I had to deal with what you used to deal with, I'd of just gone to working on car motors or something.

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Are we talking LapLink with the serial or parallel, or possibly the double headed cable that could be used for either?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I was just going to use the Windows networking on XP and some Win 98 thing that I can't quite remember but I know where to find it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back