Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

spike

IS-IT--Management
Mar 13, 2001
CA
I am doing some planning for future conversion of our token ring network to fast ethernet. I have a question about switches in general.

Switches are normally connected together using the MDIX ports or by using a crossover cable between two regular ports.

Can the bandwidth of a link between two switches be increased by connecting more than one cable between switches, ie. use two crossover cables to connect the switches or on crossover in regular ports and one cable in the MDIX port? or does this just create massive confusion between the switches?

Thanks

Yes you could increase the bandwidth, but i know only how do it with cisco switches.

Ok, how do you do it with cisco switches?

Dont even go there unless you understand spanning tree WELL. Switches do not like having two paths to the same place since they dont route per say. You might be able to "bond" two ports together or "trunk" them depending on the vendor.

THis is about uplink fast which I think is more of what you are asking about.

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Nope. Won't work. The second link will be blocked, and it will only be used as a back-up. This is part of the design to keep you from getting locked in a switching loop. Switches work by memorizing MAC addresses. You would end up with the same MAC address in two different ports in each switch. Then the switch gets confused as to where it is suppossed to send and recieve data, and loops get started. Bad thing. Bad, bad thing...

I have to setup a file server into LAN. The server (Win2000 server)configured to be a file server. Do i need a router/switches and hub?
The LAN is connected to WAN which is have a main server to connect to internet.

BTW Rik- Depending on the switch(I know Cisco), you certainly can bundle 10/100 ports( 200mbps to 800mbps) into a logical channel. STP ( spanning tree protocol) will consider it to be ONE port and not block anything out of the ordinary.

Mike S
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Many modern switches can do this, my 3com 3300's are configured with 3 links trunked together...

Select menu option (feature/trunk): detail
Select Trunk Index (1-2): 1

Unit 1 Trunk 1
Port Mode Status
Unit 1 Port 22 100 Full Active
Unit 1 Port 23 100 Full Active
Unit 1 Port 24 100 Full Active

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back