Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting Roland keyboard controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

charleshx

Technical User
Sep 29, 2003
US
I got a Roland PC-200 MK II MIDI keyboard controller. The out plug (5 pin round) connects to the Joystick/MIDI connector on the Soundblaster Live! I still can not get a sound. The Roland manual doesn't say a word how to operate it with the PC to create sound. Any advise? Thanks. Note: If this is not the proper forum for this question, could you direct me?

You have like a 16pin connector to the sound card and then it splits into two round connectors for in/out?

I believe the in goes to the out on the device and out goes to the in on the device.

Can you play a midi file on your system? If not, the proper drives must be enabled. Check your volume window. Is the Midi interface muted? or volume low?

Did you get any software with the Keyboard controller?

Otherwise you will have to have something like Cakewalk installed. The software also has a toggle to switch between your midi on the computer and your midi thru the keyboard controller.

Hope this helps.

Thanks CDLVJ for reply
Soundblaster SB live! has a Midi port with the 16 pin connector split into two 5 pin round connectors but i don't know which is in or out they are not marked. Tried both they don't seemto be active.
I can play MIDI files well, I have an old Turtle Beach Sequencer, I like it because it can change Tempo too. Also my Creative Playcenter 2 plays MIDI.
No software came with the Roland.
The old Turtle Beach sequencer talks about a Microsoft MIDI Mapper, but it was for Windows 3.1, the sequencer still works well with Windows XP Home.

You didn't say how your volume controls are set. You should check both the playback and recording controls.

kiddpete: I did, this was the first thing I checked.

Then you will have to find the sofware toggle in the Soundblaster software to communicate thru the Midi interface.

You can try and download sonar trial version. They have an option which indicates the interface to use.

I downloaded Sonar trial and still could not get any sound.
Since this controller wasn't used for years, is there any way to check if it is defective?
I located the IN connector on the Soundblaster Live! game port, so I feel confident that the hardware connection is correct.
Since there was no separate software disc included with the Dimension 8200 (only a "device drivers" folder on the know it all CD (the beauty of the "bundled" softwares preloaded by the PC mfg) i don't know how to approach the software side of the problem to bring the Roland alive.

Thanks fellows;
Problem is solved. I had some incompatibilities between my old Roland and the new audio card. Used an other driver.

Please help if you can! I have been on this for days now. I have a Roland xv-88 -- midi in & out to Midiman 2x2 (A), Audio in/out thru Behringer mixer, then:::::: in-out B on Midiman 2x2 TO M-AUDIO AUDIOPHILE SOUND CARD....So far, so good, but, when I use Cakewalk, even though I downloaded all the XV-88 instrument files, and set up the tracks as Midi 1, 2 etc. only can play back 1 midi track at a time and it has to be set to the Roland Channel setting at the time (1,2,.etc...) -- i.e. if the Roland is on Channel 1, then I hear channel 1, etc. Cannot playback a channel 2 track at all -- I used to be able to do this effortlessly when I had my rotten Sound Blaster Audigy card, but, now that I upgraded to pro stuff -- doesn't work --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back