Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting PBX via Private Fiber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcdean

Technical User
Sep 20, 2005
US
We would like to connect our 61C (4.5) at our main campus to our newly acquired 11c (3.0) at our distribution/disaster recovery center which is 7 miles away. Private fiber has been installed (very expensive by the way) to connect the two locations.

What are my options to tie the two switches together?

I wanted to use the spare TMDI T1 Multipurpose Digital Interface card (NTRB21) in the 11c and one of my Dual PRI cards in the 61C. Then use a T1 Copper to fiber extender modem to convert to fiber and back - or
Can I use the Dual PRI card or do I also need a NTRB21 in the 61C?

What other things do I need to do. Would I build a tie route just like I would if we were using a T1 from AT&T? We would like to use 4 digit dialing between locations.

This may have distance issue, not sure, but we have fiber ipe remotes. Essentially each switch, located in differant buildings, are tied together using this Fiber remote IPE AO773054

GHTROUT is correct, we would like to use TIE lines. We thought about the fiber remote, but I think that 7 miles is to far.

Can I use the Dual PRI card on the 61C? Currently one side of the card is being used with a DID PRI.

I will start working on CDP.

Sure you can use the Dual PRI. And Fiber Remote would have been a bad choice. If this is ever used for disaster recovery, well, you see why.

Other things you will want to start working on include a redirection plan for your DIDs and Toll Free numbers, to get them over to your other site with one quick call to an IVR.

I think in your LEC territory, that feature is called "CLAR"
As for the other choices, if you could get the main site and the remote site on a SONET ring (if you're that big), you could could simplify moving all the other data access, without having to subscribe to two of everything. Figure many many $thousands/month for SONET. However, SONET is not a good way to provide voice redundancy, since you will already have voice service at the other site anyways. Just CLAR the lines - takes about 60 seconds to redirect up to thousands of lines/numbers. Takes about a month to order it correctly! :)

~~~
[small]GHTROUT.com | CS1000 Programming and Feature Guides | Tek-Tips FAQs | Recent Replies[/small]

We use many Transition Networks products, the link you had to arcelect.com listed several that should work.
Is the fiber Single Mode or Multimode?
If it is multimode, what wavelength is it designed to carry, 850-1300. If it is Single Mode what is the rated wavelength, 1310 or 1550, if you noticed you could choose several 1310nm units, all have different distances they are rated to.

With your own private dark fiber you have lots of options. The one you presented (set up as SL1 PRI TIE line between the two switches) is probably your fastest and lowest cost method of accomplishing what you need.

For the future you may want to look at some of the VoIP options in CS 1000 5.5 that may allow you to look at the two switches as one, but allows both sites to "survive" if the pipe between them goes down. If you have excess fiber strands between locations you can run data on those if you convert to VoIP.

Adtran makes several products for this. I used an OC48 to a 2300 at each end and I could push multiple t1s across a single pair of fiber. Sorry I don't remember all the part numbers.

Signature===========================================

Aastra Authorized Reseller

Just recently connected a Option11C to our 81C with a fiber going approx. 8 miles. We took our Dual PRI into a Cisco 3845 router on the 81C end out to a 2801 router on the 11C end. Seems to be working good for a day now. Both sides had to be set to 'NET', odd! but its working great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back