Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting OS8.6 and WinXP for file transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

qednick

Programmer
Jul 26, 2002
US
I've read a few threads in this forum regarding this issue but none really go into detail and I'm kinda stuck. Here's the problem:

I have a WindowsXP (Home Ed.) machine which has a CD writer. I have a PowerBook 1400c running 8.6 (no CD writer). I want to transfer a boat load of zipped files from the Mac to the XP machine to put on CD. Using the phone line is not viable.
Both machines have 10base-T capabilities. I have tried messing around with sharing options on both but cannot get anywhere with it.
I have also tried running some FTP server software on the Win machine and tried connecting over ethernet with Fetch. This doesn't work either.

I know these things are possible so perhaps I'm just not configuring something correctly. Can anyone give me the details on how to connect them for a simple file transfer?

Thanks
tellis.gif

[sup]programmer (prog'ram'er), n A hot-headed, anorak wearing, pimple-faced computer geek.[/sup]​

I finally remembered about the Web Sharing control panel and managed to get this working fine. :)
tellis.gif

[sup]programmer (prog'ram'er), n A hot-headed, anorak wearing, pimple-faced computer geek.[/sup]​

so how did you do it? I've got an XP machine that I'm trying to share files with an OS8.6.
Currently I'm in the process of setting up another computer as a server with Windows 2000 but at some point I would like to have only the 2 computers... not three.

Patrick

I am working in OS 9.x and this is my problem, so I am curious as to whether any of you all have discovered any secrets?

My brother-in-law and I managed to set up sharing on the HD of my powermacG3 so I could browse the drive from one of my networked PCs. Once we had been thorough in the sharing setup on the mac we had no problem at all. We followed the cross-platform networking tutorial at
I tried to connect to mac this week and I get a login dialog box. I have entered the owner name and password but it will not accept it no matter what I do. I have tried changing the owner name and password, having no password, adding a new network user and trying login that way, but none has worked since that initial success. The login box always stymies me.

Am I missing something simple in the windows IE setup, or in the mac setup? I swear I have double-checked all the steps on the mac end, but as I am a mac newbie I just don't know for sure. HELLLLLLP!

Email me! dsaunders114@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back