Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting My RedHat 9 Machine to my WIndows Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigBasicQ

Programmer
Dec 20, 2001
IN
I have an ethernet card in each of my machines. One is running Red Hat Linux 9 while the other is running WinME. How do I setup a home network? I just want to share files between the two machines.

Also, I dont want to setup a DHCP server. I want to do it by assigning static IPs.

I have tried finding HowTos but failed. If someone knows of a good tut I would be glad.

Thanx.

Nobody is perfect =(
I am nobody =D

will i be able to share files from both computers? I mean will i be able to access the files on my WinME machine from my samba server?

Also, I found out that WinME doesnt support the SMB protocol.

Nobody is perfect =(
I am nobody =D

I find it hard to believe that WinME doesn't support SMB, as SMB is the way Windows shares stuff.
Make sure you have samba installed. The config file is usually found here: /etc/smb.conf or /etc/samba/smb.conf
You need to define your shares here. There are plenty of examples online. You also need to make sure that the directories you "share" on your linux machine have read-write attributes that allow the other machine to read/write to it.
Make sure samba is actually running. Do 'ps-ef}grep mbd' (without the single-quotes) to see... you should have at least one smbd and nmbd running. On your Win machine, make sure you have file and printer sharing installed. If this is working, you should be able to browse to the linux machine in Win.
Then, if you want, you can mount your Win shares in linux by executing a command like this - the exact syntax may be different, I'm going from memory on this:
mount -t smbfs //WinMachine/share /mnt/win
This assuming you have a share on your windows machine shared as "share" and you have a directory created on the linux machine /mnt/win
Basically, yeah, read up on Samba, but that should give you a start.

Hi, I just checked out my Win box. It didnt have the SMB protocol. Will a normal TCP/IP protocol do?

Nobody is perfect =(
I am nobody =D

SMB is the method used for communications. Protocol will be TCP/IP. All Windows OS from Windows3.1 up are capable of using SMB to talk to each other or to a server. (There are even clients for DOS only machines to do this)

SAMBA is a program that is installed on a *nix machine that will allow the *nix machine to talk to a Windows machine.

Install and configure SAMBA on your RedHat computer, by following the instructions.

Install the Client for Windows Networking on your WinME computer and configure.

Good Luck

It's not the protocol that is in question. The two machines will comunicate just fine using tcp/ip. The problem is that windows doesn't understand the fs used by linux so it can't read the shares. Samba's server (running on linux) handles that problem. Samba also has a client that lets linux understand some of windows' little quirks. As a rule, linux can read most dos/windows file systems but seems to have a problem with ntfs which is usually used by xp. If ME uses fat32 or vfat, you should have no problems.

How do i configure my ethernet card?

Nobody is perfect =(
I am nobody =D

How are the two machines connected? If you have just these two and are not using a router or switch, you can use a crossover cable. A regular patch cable will not work in this case. If you have a hub, you will be able to use patch cables because the hub will handle the crossover for you. If you plan to share an internet connection, I would consider buying a router. Since the advent of wireless networks, you can get a 4 port (wired) router for under $30. Once you have the two machines connected to each other, You will need to assign both of them an ip. For example, give one the ip 192.168.0.10 and the other 192.168.0.20. The subnet mask would be 255.255.255.0. We can talk you through the steps of configuring your ethernet card but we need to know how you will be doing it. Will you be using the command line or gui?

Thanx for your reply. I have two realtek 8190C ethernet cards. One in each of my computers. I have LAN cable connecting them using the ethernet cards. I use dial up so there isnt a question of internet sharing.

I would like to know both the methods. But first I will like to learn it using the GUI.

Nobody is perfect =(
I am nobody =D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back