Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting my home computer to my company network

Status
Not open for further replies.

alopera

MIS
Mar 1, 2002
US
Here at work were in a domain called file service. Our servers are windows NT. At home I set up my 98 on a fileservice domain also. From my network Neighborhood at work I can see my home pc, but when I try to access the system it tells me path not found. Also, I can not ping my home router from work. At work we are on a internal Lan (10.0.0.0 ). The ip address for the Linksys router at work is 10.0.0.9. At Home the ip address for the router is 10.0.0.8 . I am not to familiar with routing tables.

I went home and tried pinging my work router and I was unable to ping. At home I use Road Runner and I am able to to ping the router at home. I am very boggled because from both ends It says its connected. I'm using two Linksys routers BEFVP41 . I tried searching for the pc file://pcname/sharedrive also by file://10.0.0.8 , didn't work. What else can I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's is just a bit of info. It may not answer the question but may infrom.

On a LAN, your router has TWO IP addresses, the internal one ( probably the 10.0.0.9 ), and the External one.
If you want to ping your Home router from work, you will need to know the Home router IP address which does NOT start with 10.0 . You will need to know the external IP address.

By The Way: How did you link your Home router to your WORK router?

-NOnoy

Well thats what I'm confused about... At my job what I did was I split the T1. One side goes to our Cisco router and the other side goes to the Linksys BEFVP41 router. I changed the ip address of the Linksys router from 192.168.1.1 to 10.0.0.9 . At home I did the same thing and changed the router ip to 10.0.0.8 . I set up the VPn configuration on both ends and I connected from both ends. I still am not not able to view any resources. From home the same, I can view any computers at work. I wish the Linksys Tech support was a little more helpful when you call there support line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back