Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting Linux to Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandalen

Technical User
Feb 25, 2003
US
I have an emulated linux called knoppix. I am trying to conect it to the internet but i am not sure how. I have found where u set up dsl and dial up connections but I have a dsl modem through a router so does anyone have any idea how to connect that?
thx

Does your dsl connect ethernet or usb?
Does your linux emulator recognize the ethernet card?
Does it have its own IP?

the dsl connection is ethernet. I am not sure how to check whether the emulater recognizes the card. I have never used linux before now...
The router gives a fake external ip and there is a seperate internal one if thats what ur asking...

Not sure of the exact command on your emulator but with most linux systems you can find out the hardware that is recognize by the system. If you are running the emulator to experiment with the OS before jumping in "all the way" I could suggest VMWare's virtual machine. It works with most hardware on windows and will allow you to install almost any ver of linux that you are comfortable with.

Hope this helps...
Dave

ya thats what i am using it on. I had been trying to install mandrake linux on vmware but everytime it either freezes or crashes during install so i tried this.

Which ver of VMWare? I have installed Mandrake 8.2 and RedHat 7.2, 8.0 on mine with no problems. I am using VMWare ver 3 workstation.

Dave

I have version 3.20. I have talked to a couple people and they said i might not have enough ram to install it. I am running windows xp. 512 megs ram 1.733 gigahertz. When installing mandrake i either get an error 11 and the instilation quits or the instilation just freezes...

i figured out why mandrake wouldnt run. I needed the beta version of Vmware. The other one doesnt support it i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back