Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting Linksys BEFW11S4 to RoadRunner Cable Modem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kewlmoo

Technical User
Jul 25, 2003
US
Hello:

I am a newbie and this may have been posted before, but I did not find a forum or solution to my problem.

My problem is connecting my Linksys BEFW11S4 v2 with firmware 1.45 to Time Warner's Road Runner cable modem service.

WinXP ---> Linksys BEFW11S4 ---> Cable Modem ---> Internet

It works when the BEFW11S4 is not in the middle of things.

I have tried these steps:
- cloned the MAC Address of the Toshiba cable modem to the router settings
- reset the router to accept a dynamic IP address from the cable modem

Please let me know what I may be doing wrong
Thanks! =)

To begin with you clone the MAC address of the XP to the router, not the cable modem.

After sorting that out, your setting for the router is correct, it should obtain an address from the cable modem.

Turn off any connected PCs. Turn off the router and the modem.

Wait thirty seconds. Turn on the modem. When the lights stabilize, turn on the router. When the router stabilizes turn on the PCs.

bcastner:

I followed the tip you posted, but still having the same issues. I went to access the Linksys Administrative page and cloned the MAC to the router and then powered everything off...waited..and then powered the cable modem first, then the router and finally the computer but still not connecting through.

I currently have the dynamic routing set as router, should it be gateway instead?

Kewlmoo,

Hello! Well seems you've done almost everything! Bcastner was correct, well here is what you could try doing also. Try changing the LAN IP Address of the router to 10.10.10.1 and hard coding the DNS coming from your ISP into the DHCP tab of the router. Disadvantage of setting a static DNS into the router, if your ISP constantly change DNS, then the router will not automatically change the DNS on the router since it was set to static; moreover, you'll lose connection to the internet when that happens.

Take note "NEVER" use the 1.45 version on the router part, it has lots of bugs (either it will make your connection intermittent for quite some time or no connection at all). If possible try to downgrade the firmware of router into 1.44.2 it is a stable one. You could also use the firmware downgrade from this ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub.

Also make sure that you do have internet connection just by connecting your computer to the modem.

If everything didn't work, have the router replaced!

Hey!

I got it to work, I cloned my Ethernet adapter to the router.
I am using the latest firmware 1.45 eventhough Shocker has mentioned it has a lot of bugs, but its working for me.
I was able to get to the Internet via wireless from the other room too!

Thanks!

Not sure specifically about that model router, but linksys's are all usually the same... If you using DCHP on your ntwk, you really shouldnt need to make any changes what-so-ever.

I worked for a time warner sub-contracter for about a year, & even though we never supported routers, I would always hook them up anyway...

If you have changed the router settings, check the manual and re-set them all to the default factory settings.

Once the defaults are all set, take your modem and disconnect the ethernet wire, and unplug the power for about 2 or 3 minutes. Then power it on and wait for the cable light to lock solid. When the light is solid, connect the ethernet wire to the modem and wan port on the router.. Boot your machine. PC light on modem will come on and you should be online... If you have problems, log on to the router (pswd: admin), go to "status" tab and check for a wan ip, (if necessary try and release and renew.) - All should be fine if your PC is set to strictly use DCHP..

An important thing that a lot of users don't know is that the modem locks on to an ethernet adapters mac address (or a router's)... So if you had the modem connected directly to the nic in your pc, and then connected to the router without powering the modem down for two to three minutes, it would not work since the mac address the modem is locked on to is the address of the pc's nic rather that the mac address of the router.... which is what you need in order to get connectivity...

If your still not able to pull up sites, go out to dos prompt and ping a site (i.e. "ping rr.com") if you get replies, you have connectivity and problem is software/OS.
- Matt Montalto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back