Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting laptops to SAN??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romulan7

IS-IT--Management
Apr 9, 2008
US
I need to be able to image several laptops (20-50) at once. I am looking at utilizing a SAN because data transfer is EXTREMELY slow and we need to increase. My question is how would the laptops access the SAN's drives? Don't you need an HBA to be able to talk between host (SAN) and clients (laptops)? How would I be able to pull this off?

The MS iscsi software initiator, and a product like emboot netboot/i if you want to boot from SAN. otherwise just the MS iSCSI initator.

Don't be fooled by the speed of the target. 99% of laptop drives can only push around 70 IOPS and imaging something like Windows with thousands of small I/O, is not going to be any faster on a storage network. You should look at ways in optimizing the laptop storage so that imaging data could be faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back