Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting IDE CD/DVD Combo with 2 Sata Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCmad

MIS
Mar 1, 2003
GB
Hello, I was wondering if someone could offer some advice please. I have a PC that has two Sata Devices on one device I have a SATA Hard Drive, and on the other device a SATA DVD Combo Drive. Both are set as Master devices on the two channels and work fine. (I know I can run another SATA device as a slave on each channel if need be)

I have an IDE DVD Writer Drive that I would like to install. The motherboard has one IDE connection on it. However I cannot get Windows Vista to see the drive it sees the SATA Hard drive and SATA DVD Combo Drive fine. I have the IDE DVD Writer set as Master, but I have also tried as SLAVE.

In the BIOS the IDE device is set as Automatic when I do an automatic detect it doesn't see the device.

Other than the IDE cable being the wrong way round, is there anything else I should check, should this all work together in theory ? Anyone have any ideas ? Thank you in advance for any advice !!

There isn't a master/slave option on SATA connections, it's one device per connector.

Regarding the IDE device, I'm assuming that you're verified that it has power, i.e., it lights up and the open/close button works? Have you tried moving it to the other IDE channel (assuming that your board has two channels)? Have you tried using a different cable altogether? There are 40-wire IDE cables and 80-wire cables (both are 40 pins). For the faster ATA/IDE standards (ATA-66 and above, I believe) you need to use the 80-wire cables.

Dito
One SATA connection = one device unlike IDE which has the master and slave two device option.

If you look at any SATA cable it only has two connections, one each end, confirming that only one device can be connected.

As for the IDE, it is pretty common for modern boards to only have the one IDE header (as said, possible two devices)

Try a fine 80 wire ultra cable (usually has one coloured end that goes onto the motherboard)
Also...is there an option to disable the IDE in the bios? is it set in the boot sequence, is it powered by a molex?
Are you sure about the jumper settings?
other than that I would say that it is faulty.
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Check your BIOS Setup to see if the IDE controller is turned OFF...

if that is the case, it would not show up in Vista or any other OS...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

You most likely need to enable your IDE controller
in your BIOS. Also double check your IDE cable connector
on both ends and make sure there are no bent pins. If
there are replace the cable.

Thanks,
Starfireone

Possibly closet death of the DVD drive. They are so inexpensively made these days that a once-durable component (I have several vintage 1999-2001 CD-ROMS still in use today) has degenerated to an iffy component. I've had half a dozen newer models fail recently, so I don't place much faith in their reliability in general. Most BIOSes have IDE enabled by default, unless you've made some adjustments it should still be.

My first DVD-RW (Sony DRU-500) cost over $300 (still in use today), modern DVD-RWs sell for $30-40 and last about a year or two. And soon, once Blu-Ray goes through its adoption period, we will see those drives for <$50, and they will probably be just as cheaply made.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Thank you everyone for replying as you have all been really helpful. I have on order a 80 wire IDE cable as I think this is what the problem is after trying a few suggestions posted.

I'm going to stick with my guess of a dead drive. Keep us posted!

Tony

Users helping Users...

Did you try setting the jumper on the drive to CS (Cable Select)? Although I agree with the 80 wire cable as a possibility, give the CS setting a shot. One of the jumper combos should be marked CS - jump those pins to put it in Cable Select mode.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Always proofread carefully to see if you any words out.]
----------------------------------------------------------------

Depending on your motherboard chipset, the IDE port might be on a different controller. On my board (an Asus P5B) I can set my on-board SATA controller to IDE mode, ACHI or automatic - but I also have a separate entry for a JMicron controller, which controls the IDE port and a couple more SATA ports. Have a look in your BIOS settings and see whether you have something similar.

Also - and this is a long shot - I once connected up a drive and for ages I couldn't figure out why it didn't work. After a few hours of mucking about I realised I hadn't connected the power cable!

Regards

Nelviticus

Shot in the dark but if memory serves me right. Simply try changing the jumper on the CD to Slave or Cable Select. That should straighten things out.

Thomas S.
MCDST, A+, Net+, CNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back