Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting hub to my pc and laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mbowe

Programmer
Jan 6, 2006
I am trying to connect netgear-ds104 4 ports hub with my pc (win2000) and laptop (xp). Only laptop works (connected for send and receive) but pc shows connected for only sends but not receive. I have no firewall. My network card (3com XL 10/100) works fine. What do I do wrong? I suspect something about IEEE but let me know if I am right. My network Card supports IEEE 802.1 but hub is compliance with IEEE 802.3i 10Base-T Ethernet and 802.3u 100Base-TX Fast Ethernet. Could this be the reason?

What cable are you using ? straight through or crossover - It should be straight through. What cable standard? It should be CAT5. I assume you have assigned suitable IP addresses.

I am not sure if it's straight through or crossover, I will check when I go home, can you tell me how? But I know it's CAT5. Cables from hub to PC and laptop are blue, does it tell you if it's crossover or straight through?

stduc, by the way, due to my service provider, I have to obtain IP automatically.

[qoute]does it tell you if it's crossover or straight through? [/quote]
I'd assume it's straight-through unless it says otherwise. Cross-overs usually have a label or writing on the outer insulating sleeve to indicate it's a crossover.

LIVERPOOL FC - 5 times Champions of Europe. 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984, 2005.
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Go buy the cheapest shortest straight through cable (NOT CROSSOVER) you can find, if that works keep hold of it, AND check to see if the colour order and position of the wee cables into the clear plugs looks the same as yours... if they do take it back for a refund! use the existing one

If it was the cable supplied with the router/hub it won't be a crossover and is the one you want

The hub should work using the highest mutually compatible setting....

If you are just trying to link the two devices sell the hub and buy a crossover cable with the funds..... plug one end into each network card....

Does the hub have DHCP built in, or are you assigning a static IP to each machine? If the modem only gives out one IP, then only one machine can connect, although most modems have DHCP.

Are you trying to use the uplink connection? It's usually on one end.

-David
2006 Microsoft Valueable Professional (MVP)

My cable is a straight through one. I am not assigning any IP address, my IP Address configuration is the automatic obtain. I am not sure if the hub (netgear DS-104) has DHCP as I cannot do any configuration with it and no software needed for hub. I am NOT using the uplink connection. Thanks

You don't say how you are connecting to the internet. But my guess is that you are using a broadband modem of some kind with a USB connection?

If I am correct then you cannot connect both PC's to the internet directly. Without a DHCP server IP address's have to be manually assigned.

Using straight through cables connect the NIC cards on your laptop & PC to the hub. Assign IP address's of 192.168.0.2 to one and 192.168.0.3 to the other. Enable TCP/IP on both NIC's. They should then connect OK. Enable Internet connection sharing on the PC with the broadband modem to let both PC's use the internet.

If your broadband modem has an ethernet connection and DHCP and NAT you can connect it to the hub and the PC & laptop to the hub and the modem should assign IP address's correctly if the PC's are set up to aquire an IP address. But if your modem does not have DHCP this arrangement will not work.

I repeat - without a DHCP server and NAT (network address translation) More than 1 PC cannot connect to the internet. Without a DHCP server then IP address's have to be manually assigned. Internet connection sharing on XP enables NAT on that PC! But then that PC must be booted up and working for the other machnes to use the internet.

Ensure you have a good firewall and antivirus etc running on all PC's connected to the internet this way.

stduc, sorry, I am using broadband modem with usb. I understand your view and I am going to try using your technique. My provider is Comcast, I checked the IP address properties and found out that I am using Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically. But the Comcast guy who did installation wrote one IP address in my contract papers. Do I need to do anything with this IP?

Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.

No, that is the IP of your modem, although it changes periodically. I know from experience that comcast's modem won't work with usb and ethernet. You have to power down the modem to switch between modes. Just plug the hub into the modem, and then both pcs into the hub.

-David
2006 Microsoft Valueable Professional (MVP)

What a boob! I am not using usb, it's my fault. I am home now and try to see every possible way.

Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back