Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting Grandstream GXW4232 analogue gateway to vintage Ascom Tele-Nova pager system

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdave1980

Systems Engineer
Dec 18, 2017
GB
Hi all,

First off, I'm sorry if this is not posted in the appropriate section. It involves a 3CX system and a Grandstream FXS gateway integrating with an old Ascom paging system (Ascom beepers) but the question is more to do with the Grandstream and the Ascom pagers than the 3CX. I couldn't see where else to post it.

We have recently removed an LG LDK-100 PBX from one of our customers' premises and have replaced it with a 3CX cloud hosted system. We've installed a Grandstream GXW4232 on the premises to serve all of their analogue phones, and that side of things is working perfectly. What is not working however is the integration with their existing pager system, which we do not maintain. It's a very old looking Ascom Tele-Nova box which I can find no information about online at all, which really surprised me. As far as I'm aware the old LDK-100 system had an SLT port connected to this box via a single copper pair, and when a call went to that particular extension, it triggered the pagers/beepers. There's a master socket incorporated in that pair too, with a capacitor on it etc. So I have connected that pair to one of the FXS ports on the Grandstream gateway, but it doesn't work when I call the relevant extension on the 3CX. If I deliberately short the pair with something it does activate the pager and it beeps, but a call to that extension on the 3CX does not activate the pager system.

I've trawled various forums including this one and I can't find any posts about the same thing. I've seen people talking about pager systems from other vendors but not about the Ascom system. I've tried various port settings on the Grandstream with no success.

To briefly describe the Ascom Tele-Nova pager/beeper system, there's a black metal box which is where the pair from the PBX connects into. I've left that exactly as it was. There's a white connector that plugs into that box, I thought it was power but it's not, it goes to a console which sits on a desk above it. The console has a whip antenna on it for communicating with the pagers/beepers presumably via DECT, and buttons so they can manually send pages to individual beepers (which is working perfectly fine). There are also a number of "door bell" switches wired to the Tele-Nova box and they too are activating the pagers like they should, so it's not an issue with the pager system or the beepers.

I will post some pictures below in case anyone has any experience with the kind of setup I'm looking at, or any suggestions. Any help please would be great as I'm out of ideas.

Thanks!

1_vdcrsc.jpg

2_x1yrxn.jpg

3_hls8ne.jpg

4_nno81l.jpg

5_ee4acc.jpg

6_bpjnc0.jpg

7_kjz1y5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.