Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting external device to HP IPAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

k33

Technical User
Apr 10, 2003
US
I have an external devices that currently connects to a pc and runs off of a 3rd party application. The application will run on Windows 95/98/2000/XP. I want to connect the device to a handheld (HP IPAQ) and run the application.

The device connects via USB. Will I need to completely rewrite the existing code and/or reconfigure the device to work with the handheld (HP IPAQ). Would another handheld work better?

Thanks

OK, HP states that you can only connect USB using the cradle, which constantly needs an external powersource.
Does anyone know of a handheld that handles USB?

You wouldn't only need to find a hand-held that has a USB port - I don't know of any - but you'd need to write a device driver for your external device as well. That's a fairly mammoth task, before you even start writing the application that would use the device!

If I were you I'd look at other ways around the problem.

Nelviticus

Thanks for the response. Twin Paradox is releasing a USB adapter that should connect directly to the PDA next month, but like you stated, I still need to write a driver.

Thanks again

The PDA itself is actually a USB device. You can get cables with a connector on one end that fits into the cradle socket on the bottom of the hand-held and a USB male plug on the other end. If you knew what you were doing with electronics you could probably rig something up to get the PDA and the external device talking to each other whithout extra hardware, but that's way beyond my expertise!

Nelviticus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back