Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting DS1s back to back 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott99

Technical User
Feb 26, 2002
GB
I'm using a NICE matrix logger trunk side and need to record some internal calls. The only way I can think of making this possible is by routing the internal calls out through one DS1 which is connected to the matrix logger and then back into another DS1. I think it will be a tie trunk set up but I need to find out what the pins outs will be for the RJ45 cable from and to the ds1s. Has anyone done this before?

Scott99,

The Right Way is to use service observing feature with or without cti control. though you can do it your way, should work.
ds1 pinouts are:
on the amphenol connector 22-47 pair rx, 23-48 tx;
on the 110 type mdf 22 pair rx, 23 pair tx;
on the rj45 the standard is 1-2 (orange) tx, 45 (blue) rx.
don't forget that you need to cross-connect ds1 cable (rx to tx and vice versa).

Thanks Dwalin.
We do actually use service observer but we need to scedule recordings through the logger. This infor will help a lot.

I have the settings for the tie trunk group but I'm not sure what settings to use for the DS1s . Could you help with this?

Thanks

Scott99,

it depends on what country you are located in. :) for us you probably should use t1 so settings will be like this:
bit rate: 1.544
line coding: ami-zcs
signaling mode: isdn-pri
connect: pbx
interface: first ds1 peer-master, second peer-slave
peer protocol: q-sig
side: first ds1 'a', second ds1 'b'
all other settings you can leave as is, it should not affect anything.

great. Thanks for all your help Dwalin

one more thing. For a tie group what kind of signalling group is needed , if any? I'm getting 1281 errors and from the Maintenance manual it suggests a loss of signal?

Scott99,

before trying to set up a signaling group you should get the basic ds1 working i.e. set up the physical layer. test your ds1 board and see what happens. i think you'll get 138 test failed and that would mean the board you testing doesn't get any signal from the other side. check the cabling and nice logger's settings. after you get ds1 to work and all tests passed you can set up a signaling group (and this would depend on what signaling protocols nice logger can understand, i'm not clear on this) and a trunk group.

I used a cross-over cable to connect the DS1s and I do get a fail on the test 138? I am not connecting via the Matrix logger yet. I just wanted to test the ds1s back to back first.

Scott99,

this most probably means you have improper cable. remember you have to cross-connect pairs: tx (23 pair on mdf) from the first ds1 to rx (22 pair on mdf) of the second ds1 and vice versa. you can make the cable yourself if you wish but i don't recommend it because amphenol connectors are not so easy to work with if you don't have special tool and most probably you don't have it. so it's easier to get two standard ds1 to wall field cables, rip off the db-15 heads and cross-connect the pairs. voila. you should have physical layer up and 138 test passing.

I realised my mistake just after my last post. I made a cable up switching the two pairs you mentioned 1,2 & 4,5 and the test 138 passed! Thx
Did you say that I do need a signalling group with this?

Scott99,

yes, since you have configured your ds1s for isdn-pri you need two signaling groups. you can create them with 'add signaling-group next' command, leave signaling as 'isdn-pri', associated signaling 'y', primary d-channel is 24th timeslot of your ds1 board and trunk group for channel selection should be set to the trunk group you created for this link. note that you should have two signaling and two trunk groups with similar settings.

Dwalin,

I tried to create the signalling groups and the supplementary protocol defaults to A. I believe it should be set to B for QSIG basic signalling. However it seems we done have this as a customer option:( You mentioned that the primary d-channel should be the 24th timeslot. Normally I assign the 16th port of the board as this. Would you mind explaining further? Thanks

Scott99,

ahm, sorry. i though you're in u.s. but it seems that you're somewhere nearer. so you should use e1 instead of t1. then, you need to completely change ds1 settings. remove ds1 translations then add them anew with following settings:
bit rate: 2.048
line coding: hdb3
signaling mode: isdn-pri
interface: peer-master/peer-slave
peer protocol: q-sig
side: a/b
crc: i don't think you need it, so 'n'
interface companding: if you're not in u.s. there should be a-law

other settings should not affect anything.

next, create (or edit existing) signaling groups. for both sides of your link you can use the same settings:
group type: isdn-pri
associated signaling: y
primary d-channel: 01a0116 (your ds1 board, of course)
trunk group for channel selection: trunk group number or blank if it is not existing yet
supplementary service protocol: it seems that you don't have q.sig suppserv opened so leave it as 'a'

trunk group settings:
group type: isdn
service type: tie
supplementary service protocol: c
digit handling: enbloc/enbloc
disconnect supervision: y & y
second page:
send name: y
send calling number: y
send connected number: y
numbering format: it depends, most probably private
third page:
service/feature: tie
insert: your aar access fac
and fill it with b-channels setting sig grp to your new signaling group.

then repeat the procedure for second signaling group and trunk group and you should be able to see 'status sig' as in-service.

Dwalin,

I have set it up and the signaling groups are in service!
However when I make a call it goes across the two ds1s/trunk groups(checked via cms), arrives at the right phone but there is no speech heard from either end. No sure if this is down to the supp protocol on the signalling group?

Scott99,

you didn't set the trunk group for channel selection in the signaling group form, so when a call arrives, system doesn't know which trunk to use. for first (outbound) signaling group set this to number of the first trunk, and second trunk group for second signaling group. finally you should be able to hear anything. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back