Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

igk

MIS
Aug 27, 2001
US
I need to connect 2 Access 97 Databases in order to perform all of the functions in the first and display the results in second. Any advice?
Thank you.

Link the table(s) from the second database in the first one. Include the tables from both databases in your query, joining them on their related fields........

Thank you for the reply, but the idea is to keep all tables and queries in a separate database. I know that I can create a HLink to call one DB from another, the problem is to update specific fields in both DBs at the same time.

Well, that would be the point of linking; they would remain two physically seperate databases....

Hi!

I guess I'm like CosmoKramer. Why is linking to the table the wrong way to go?

Jeff Bridgham

Hi,

Because only 1 or 2 people in the company will use this feature and I don't want the system to slow down for everyone.

You shouldn't see any degradation in linking (provided you take advantage of, or create indexes), and it's a heck of a lot easier than coding.......

Hi,

Looks like I am not the only one with this question. See the thread: Open another Access db from within an Access db

I do understand what you are talking about, I have 1 GUI database and 5 databases with tables. The GUI database uses linked tables. But I need to keep the forms and reports in a separate system for the new feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back