Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting Cisco 2950 switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheekychappie

Technical User
Jan 25, 2003
GB
Hi,

I work in a building that has main comms cabinets, (mdf's?) consisting of routers, switches, nodes, patch panels. We also have smaller comms cabinets (idf's?) situated throughtout the building that connect back to the main cabinets.

A new (idf?) cabinet has been installed in a room and 2 users will connect to our network services via it. It's a small cabinet and only consists of one patch panel situated at the top, with each port labelled to link it to network points on the wall. However, there are many more ports on the patch panel than there are network points in the room (all of the ports on the patch panel are wired.) There is nothing else in the cabinet except for a fan tray at the top.

My plan is to install a Cisco 2950 switch into the cabinet. It's a standard 10 / 100 24 port switch with no other ports other than the console. This is the only available switch and is what I'll be using.

My method of connecting the switch is to connect a straight through patch cable from port 24 of the switch to one of the patch panel ports that isn't linked to a network point in the room (one of the 'free' patch panel ports?) I will obviously connect a mains power cable from the switch as well! My thoughts are this leaves the other 23 ports of the switch for use.

I will connect the first user from one of these switch ports to the first patch panel port using a straight through patch cable (the first patch panel port relates to a network point on the wall.) I will then connect the second user from the second switch port to patch panel port 2, which also relates to a network point on the wall.

Is this the right way to connect everything or do I need more comms equipment other than the patch panel and the switch? I'm assuming that connecting the switch to the patch panel then the users to the switch (patch cable from relevant patch panel port to a free switch port) will give them connectivity after PC configuration, am I right or wrong, please help

The comms cabinet is fully installed and has power to it and includes a top fan tray. The patch panel ports are all wired.

Dave

You're right on the terms, MDF/IDF.

Are you going to be uplinking your cisco switch to your main network? If so, that should be all you need. Some short patch cables, patching from patch panel port to switch port. If your switch is uplinked to your main network, then your network should handle adressing, etc.

Sounds like you might be in a bit over your head, but you are on the right track.

You mount your switch in there, and patch the ports that you need to the patch panel jacks that go to where the users are. That's pretty straight forward.

What is confusing me is how you are feeding this switch? You are going to run a cable from port 24 of the switch to an unused port on the patch panel? You will need a backbone from this IDF to the MDF, some way to get your network connected to the Cisco switch. Can't quite tell what your plan is there.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

There is an external company we hire to do installation of cabinets, cabling runs etc. The cabinet has power to it, a fan tray at the top and one patch panel (all ports on the patch panel have been wired.) This cabinet is linked back to the mdf.

Taking the above into account, am I on the right lines for setting everything up? Any further advice appreciated.

Dave

I meant to say in my reply, are you meaning that simply connecting the switch to a free patch panel port via one of the switches 10 / 100 ports won't give me network connectivity? I assumed if the cabinet is hard wired back to the mdf then this is all I have to do, have I got this wrong?

Dave

Are you feeding this IDF from a switch in the MDF? If so, you would need to use a crossover cable. Cisco does not have an "uplink" port on their switches. If you plug 2 like signals into each other... nothing would happen. Doesnt mattert which ports you put everyone into. You can purchase a crossover cable anywhere or you can make one. (terminate 1 side 568B and the other 568A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back