Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting CIsco 2500 Router with 2610? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chkmg

Technical User
Aug 13, 2002
EU
Hi guys, nice to see you all helping eachother out. My question is that we have Smart serial interfaces on WIC-2T and ordinary synch serial interfaces on 2500 series. How to connect these two back to back? I mean do we need any converter to convert Smart serial into ordinary one?
Secondly, can anyone plz tell me how to transfer an IOS from one router to another? like for instance from one 2610 to another 2610.Thanks in advance, take care!

chkmg,
You can get a cable which is smart serial(c2600) to DB60(c2500). Alternatively, you can get a DB60 X.21(DCE) cable and connect it to a smart serial DTE) cable (or vice versa). The first is the best option as it requires only one cable. Checkout ebay and you should be able to pickup one cheap.

You second option is fairly obvious - via the network (its what we work with right ;-?). Put your router and PC on the network and tftp the file from your router to your PC. When the file is on your PC, tftp the file from your PC to your other router. tftp commands are:
copy flash tftp
copy tftp flash

Alternatively you can use the Xmodem process, but its much sloooower than via the network. BTW, a network can be as simple as a crossover cable from your PC to your router.

JimmyZ

Dear JimmyZ,I thank you very much and really appreciate your concern. I have been reading other threads and observed that you are always looking to help others. May GOD give you more knowledge as it,for sure, increases when you share it with others. Take care!

chkmg,
Thanks for your kind words. I think the real props should go out to the guys at Tek-Tips for running such a cool and productive forum which promotes information sharing over bragging rights.

JimmyZ

Like chkmg, I tried to connect a 2511 with a 2611 via a DTE - DCE cable pair.

But nothing happened. The serial is still down, protocol is still down.

Do I have to write any command to perform the test?

Taner hocam, serial port altýnda bir tarafý DCE tanýmlamanýz gerekiyor. bunu da clock rate 56000 komutuyla yapabilirsiniz.

Kolay gelsin

Dediðin komutu da denedim. Ben de öyle biliyordum.
Ama Cisco 2500 ve 2600 serileri clock üretemiyor diye bir þey duymuþtum.
Test Çalýþmayýnca acaba bu duyum doðru mu diye bir an tereddüt ettim.

Demek ki benim seri portlardan birisi bozuk.

I have been struggling with the exact same problem for a week. I coulnd't even ping the serial devices after I assigned them IP addresses.

Finally after setting the clock rate and bridge group numbers, SUCCESS!!!!!!!!

I can not only ping the serial interface on one router, but also on the neighbouring router.

P.S. I used static routes.

Hope this helps.

A clock rate must be specified on the DCE side when directly connecting serial interaces. This specifies which interface is providing the clocking, which would normally be provided by the network if these were real WAN interfaces.

Additionally, you can eleminate the step of copying the IOS to your PC by issuing the command "tftp-server flash:image-filename.bin" from config mode on the router that has the IOS you wish to copy. Then when you attempt to copy the IOS image specify the loopback (or other IP) address of the router you issued the tftp server command.

Thank you all for your kind suggestions and sorry for the late reply, TC!

Regards,
chkmg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back