Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting cable modem through a router

Status
Not open for further replies.

byurow

Programmer
Jul 7, 2002
US
Hey everyone,

I am trying to set up my home office. I have 2 computers a linksys router and a cable modem. I can get each computer to work directly with the cable modem. I can get one computer to work with the router and the cable modem, but I cannot get both computers to work. The second computer says it is not connected.

Here are the specifics:

Upstairs: One computer, the cable modem, the router.
Downstairs: One computer.

If I plug the downstairs computer directly into the cable modem I CAN access the internet. If I plug the upstairs computer directly into the cable modem I CAN access the internet. If I plug the upstairs computer into the router and the router into the cable modem I CAN access the internet. If I plug the downstairs computer into the router I get a message that the cable is not connected. It doesn't matter if the upstairs computer is plugged into the router or not and it doesn't matter which spot I plug the cable into on the router (5 spots), the downstairs computer will not connect. Yet, if the cable is plugged directly into the cable modem all is well?!? What am I doing wrong? It doesn't appear to be the cable itself as it works with a direct connect and it doesn't seem to be the router as the upstairs computer always works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Tahnks,

Brenda

Byurow,

I take it that your router is not wireless, and that your downstairs computer is also connected via cable. If this is the case you want to make sure that you are using standard lan cables and not cross-over cables used to connect 2 pc'c directly to each other.

If you are using a wireless router, you may need to access the router via Internet Explorer (The router intructions will give you the IP address but it is usually 192.0.0.1 and make sure that the wirless setting are configured correctly.

Regards,

Shotgun.

Shotgun,

Thanks for the reply. The cables are definitely not cross-over cables and yes, the router is not wireless. I ended up solving the problem by buying a new router. The router I had was 5 years old and from what I can tell, just couldn't handle a 75 foot cable. I bought a new D-Link router and it works great with the existing cables. Go figure!

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I appreciate your getting back to me.

Brenda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back