Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting an NBX to a Cisco IP system

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanCarroll

IS-IT--Management
Jun 24, 2005
US
I am told another business unit on our corporate WAN has a Cisco IP system.
I was asked if we could talk accross the WAN to the Cisco LIke we do with our 8 NBX's
I know the VTL's won't work. Would the H323 Conections setup work?

Last time I checked that was based on NT and not really supported.
What Model and Software version of the NBX do you have?
If you have a v300x, or a v5000 running 6.0x you can upgrade to 6.5.x for free and run SIP with native Voicemail support and create a SIP trunk to the Cisco system...

Thank you. I did not want to go to 6.5 sip. I loose too much in the process.
But I do have a spare NBX that I can make a Sip Unit. Can a sip device make use of VTL's?
I am thinking that if i Have 1 SIP unit in my WAN and the reset are NIB using VTL's, I may be able to do this without too many features being lost.
Grasping for a straw.

No, SIP units cannot do VTL's. They do SIP trunks.
Is the 3Com in the same office as the Cisco? If so, you can install a T1 card in each unit and connect them that way...

How many concurrent calls do you need between the units?
You can always use a ALC to SIP ATA to the Cisco
or
a PRI card to a SIP PRI ATA to the Cisco

no, the cisco is somewhere on our national WAN. So it will be a SIP connection.
I would have the SIP enabled 3com in the same location as another NIB 3com. That was to be the link.
But I can connect the 3coms using T1 cards. That would allow connections to the other 3coms using vtls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back