Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting access project to SQL Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

eletuw

Programmer
Sep 15, 2000
GB
How can I connect an access project to an SQL server backend without using ODBC. I want to deploy an access project front end without having to set up ODBC on the client PC.

Thanks for your help.
Wale

There are 2 ways I would suggest.

1) ODBC and just automate the ODBC connection: email me if you need help with this one.

2) Use ADO, but you will need to revist much of your code to make it ADO compatible.

Access Add-on developer

Thanks. I prefer to use ADO. Do you have any idea on how to do this. I want to avoid setting up ODBC on client PCs.

Wale

An Access "Project" is actually a special sort of Access database with a built-in ADO connection to SQL Server. It first appeared in Access 2000.

To create one, you just choose to create an Access Project, rather than an Access Database. From the "New" item on the "File" menu, you will find the choice of creating a regular Access database (.mdb) or to create a new blank Access Project (.adp) or to convert an existing .mdb to an .adp file.

You should read some of the documentation on Access Projects, and/or get one of the several books available that are focused exclusively on .adp's.

Wish I could be more help, but I have stayed away from ADO when using Access.

Here are my reasons, and if someone else can offer a reason why I should goto to ADO, I welcome that.

1) Microsoft seemed to got to the ADO model in Access 2000, but have dropped the push in Access 2002 XP. So I am guessing they are going a different direction in XP (Note: ADO Still works in XP, but it is not in any of MS Access help files)
2) I use Access for quick development, but ADO requires that you write code for all queries and joins to remote tables, so all those queries that you designed in the access query design window need to be moved into VBA code.
3) You need to code the connection in ADO, but using ODBC, you can use all of the built in tools from access to connect, and retrieve data. If I was going to code everything, I would have selected VB as my development language.
4) It is just easier using ODBC, so unless I need to have a feature that is only available in ADO, I go easier/faster since my clients do not want to pay for the extra time I would need to bill.

These are my reasons. I can write an automated procedure to setup/create an ODBC connection for my user in about 2 hours.

Hope this Helps, Good luck with ADO...
Access Add-on developer

Hi,
Thanks. I think the ODBC connection is stored in the TableDefs. If I can replace the DSN connection stored with the TableDefs with DSN-less connection string, I may achieve my objective.
What do you say to this?. Do you know how I can get this done.?
Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back