Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connecting Access 2003 to Oracle 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinea

Technical User
Jun 25, 2001
US
Greetings,

Basic question. I searched the forum but could not come up with what I need. How do I connect to a Oracle database from access? I tried setting up and ODBC connection but couldn't get it to work.

On my desktop I have

1)Oracle and Access 2003
2)a TNSnames entry that others use for connecting via Toad
3) an oracle user and login

What are the basic steps for connecting my Access to the database. I can't get the boss to spring for Toad so want to use Access for saving queries etc...

Thanks for your help!
Marc

Guinea pigs make the world a nicer place!

Piggydad30@hotmail.com

Thanks for that link, sorry to pop in, have a star

There's something you have to do on the server, too, in order to make an ODBC connection--besides the TNSNames entry. Seems like it's something to do with the Listener.

We had Toad for years. Got tired of paying the outrageous prices. Discovered a product called PL/SQL Developer, which does just about all the things Toad does, and costs < 200 bucks...

Good Luck,
Tranman

Thanks for your help!

So I was following the instructions in the link you supplied and could not find the Microsoft ODBC administrator under Oracle home> Configuration and Migration Tools path. Is this an Oracle supplied program or Microsoft program? How do I go about getting it? I don't have the oracle isntall disc. IT instaled Oracle for me.

Regards,
Marc

Please disregards my last post- found that it is part of the OS.

Thanks everyone for your help! Got acess to the db through MS Access :).

Now I only have to track down the IT guy who created the db to get the table structures and relationships.....

Thanks Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back