Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting a RedHat 8 box to my existing LAN...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebergoner

Technical User
Mar 15, 2002
US
Here's my question...

How would I go about connecting my Linux RedHat 8 box to my existing LAN? I'm currently on a Win2k box that goes through a hub then to a router then it finally hits the outside world.

Here's my setup...

I have a hub in between this box and the router because I want to connect my RedHat box to the hub to enable internet access. I do not have DHCP so I have to manually get the box connected.

This is how it's setup...

Win2k----Hub----Router----Cable Modem
Linux-----|

I have looked everywhere for help on this but I always run into outdated papers and wrong systems.

If someone could help or point me in the right direction, so I can get both these boxes up and running, it'd be greatly appreceated.

Thanks in advance.

I am running Windows 98 Workgroup on one PC
and Mandrake 8.2 on another

How do I connect to the Internet from Linux with the Win98 machine diallig up ?

I have a similar case ?

Hi,

Icebergoner: There's a tool called "netcfg" in Mandrake that should help you configuring your network (you must be root within an X-Window session to use it). The easiest way is to pick up Win2K network config (with ipconfig /all) and report it (except host IP address ;-) ) under Mandrake.

dreamsync: If you let me give you an advice, you'd better "dial-up" with Mandrake and "surf" with Win98 (and have a look a thread619-377412 in this forum)

Icebergoner, all you have to do is set up your network settings. Here's an example...

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.5 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default gw 192.168.1.1

To make these settings stick, edit the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcgf-eth0 file and the /etc/sysconfig/network file.

[root@cp root]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.1.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
[root@cp root]#

[root@cp root]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=penguin.linux.org
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
[root@cp root]#

ChrisP

Icebergoner: assign an IP to your Linux box. Set the router as your Win2K box.

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default gw x.x.x.x

x.x.x.x IP being your Win2K IP. It should work. Although it is much wiser to let your Linux do the dialing and connecting to the outside world.

dreamsync: your solution should be similiar to the above. Although you should take nwardez's advice and dial using the Linux.

i read in the other thread, download a Proxy from AnalogX, 190kb small piece for your windows.

Iti really works...

Yes fluid, it is similar to what you said. Your post was accurate and technical. I just put in a few extra words to make it slightly non-technical so that it would be easier to understand and so that the person would know what they are actually doing. I explained what the IPs would represent and how the network would actually work. You placed a bunch of Linux commands and a sample config file (which is indeed good and accurate). I just tried my best to translate that to English so that other non-technical people would understand. I'm just trying to be helpful. Hope that didn't 'offend' your technical abilities in any way.

codex, no, not at all. I thought that I might have made a mistake somewhere that I'm not seeing. I didn't mean for my post to sound rude or anything to you.

ChrisP

I'm not sure I'm following. I've tried everything, it still doesn't work. I don't see how I can let my Win2k box to do the "dialing" if the only thing both boxes are connected together too is the hub.

I'm still trying to figure this out. It looks like you guys think my Redhat box connects to my win2k box that connects to the net. It goes my RedHat box connects to the same hub the Win2k box does, and that hub connects to a router, which connects to the net.

I've tried the above to no avail.

Well, my Win XP is connected to the switch and so is my Linux and so is my DSL modem. All of em connect to the same switch. Whichever box dials the connection, 'owns' the connection. Therefore it would be set as the router. My DSL modem is has an IP, but i dont set that as the router, i set my Linux as the router, as it is the one that 'owns' the connection. This is how my network runs.

If with your setup, you still can't manage to get things running, have you tried setting the router on the Redhat as the IP of your current router? Maybe you need to configure your router. It might not recognize your Linux box IP or its blocking it. On your Win2K, do you need to set a router IP? I can't see why the solution me and fluid posted above shouldn't work.

Let me rephrase this question. Hopefully we can figure something out, everything I've tried hasn't worked and I'm not sure if we're on the same page, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, so...

I have to network 2 computers together, to share resources and a Internet connection. My connection to the Internet is a Cable modem and is for only one computer. 2 other connection) share the internet through the router alongside mine. So theres 3 connections total to the router. Now I want to share one of the connections (mine) between two computers, a Win2k and a Linux box, how would you all set this up?

Well, i'd be repeating myself here. Either I somehow don't understand your problem or we're on totally different brainwaves here. You want to share Internet connection between the 3 PCs? Right?

If it was me, my only concern is which computer 'owns' the connection. You mentioned that there is Internet access for one computer? What OS is it running? Is it configured to enable Internet connection sharing? To set up the network, I would set the other PC's to connect to the Internet via this computer that is already connected to the Internet. I would set the PC that is already connected to the Internet as the gateway for the other PCs not connected to the Internet to access the Internet. It's a matter of setting the right IPs and routing tables.

Ok here's the whole complete situation.

Right now here's how the networks set up.

There are 3 computers connected to the router that connects to the cable modem/intenet. My fathers, mine and my brothers, all in seperate rooms. I have my computers in my room. Only my Win2k box is connected to the router at this moment. Thats what I'm typing from. I also have my RedHat 8 box right here, all setup up and running completely on its own. What I want to do is to have my RedHat box be able to use the internet connection also and be able to share resources (HDD, printer, cd roms...) with my Win2k box.

Well, to share HDD, use Samba. You can use that to share data over a network. You can setup share folders in Win2K and RH will be able to share the data. Sharing printer, im not too sure bout that, but i think the configuration would be on Win2K side. File and Printer Sharing. Not sure how to get Linux to link to it, haven't tried that myself. Should be somewhere in the Printer config, sharing one over a network. Sharing CD-ROMs, im also not too sure about that.

But sharing the internet, my solution remains the same. There are a few things you could try. If you want it to link via the Win2K, then get a switch or hub to link the Win2K and RH box. Or get a 2nd NIC on the Win2K and use a cross-cable to link with the RH box. This way, you set the gateway as your Win2K because that is the one dialing the connection. You could also try hooking up the RH to the router, and use gateway and router settings same as the setting of your Win2K. Only thing is use a diff IP for your RH NIC. Does this answer your question?

From what I understand what you need to do is buy a small switch (4 port or so) and plug the cable from the router into that. You then plug both boxes into open ports on the switch and start communicating.

Doesn't a router itself act as a switch? I'm pretty sure i've seen it somewhere. A router/switch. Or was I dreaming?

Btw, Icebergoner, I strongly suggest you use the RH as a firewall for your network. Since you are on a cable modem, it's wise to secure your network with the RH box. Let it do the dialling and the only one connected to the Internet. Let your other 2 PCs connected to the Internet via the RH.

A router/switch is sort of like a sport/utility they can come combined but you can also get them as seperate units. I'm thinking he needs another port to plug the extra box into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back