Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting 2x Primary SEs together? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwgs811

IS-IT--Management
Nov 9, 2010
CA
Currently have a 5 site IP500 SCN, however looking to centralise things a bit and make this 2x SEs with one at each of 2 locations (Primary and Secondary) and the rest of the sites will then become remote.

The issue is there is a sister company who also have a similar setup (Primary and Secondary). Their Primary currently connects to this multi-site SCN as well via one of the 5 locations and in doing so shares the directory with all of the other sites in the SCN - yes I know this is technically not supported, but it at least works. Ideally the company would like to run and manage things independent of the existing sister company. So, the question is does anyone know if you can get 2x SEs working together, but not managed together? i.e. like an SCN, but still operate independently. e.g. 1 primary system talking to another primary system (simply to share directory/group info etc.) and not just an expansion system.

Has anyone else done this before? I'm sure it's not supported, but does anyone know if it'll even work?

Worse case, I'll just have to create SIP trunks between the 2 SE setups, so they can still 'talk' to each other but without one interfering with the other. They'll lose the directory, which is a nice to have, but still have ext to ext dialling.

Done this on 11.0.4
H323 trunk between primary systems
No real limit on channels and it is calls at the system level, no need for inbound call routes.

Use short codes to route calls between systems

Or get clever with how calls route on the servers

Had 2 server editions and a CM all routing between each other.

Watch for routing loops

Directory was a head scratcher
I ended up with a web server importing the users and groups from the old urls for phone manager. Sorry can’t remember them of the top of my head.

You need to process and reformat it to the external directory to allow you to import it via http.

You can’t edit the http path
Pbx also checked for the http servers software type so you will need to fake this as well.

There is a one page for Avaya think if you search for 3000+ extensions it gives you suggestion

All completely unsupported by Avaya
;)

Have fun

That KB doesn't really cover linking 2 Primary servers directly together, only expansions (which I had forgotten about).

The KB describes EXACLTLY the interconnection Server to Server up to 6.000 users, at the mentioned url choose the option: "Capacity Planning Beyond 3000 Users", you will get a topology diagram showing the connection

The link goes to the wrong page, but IamaSherpa is correct that that the method for linking two Server Edition networks is outlined at the back of that document.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Thanks - yes the link doesn't take you to the right page, but I saw the part you were referring too.

Only thing is it mentions requiring the Select version. Would this work without Select?

As far as I known yes.

No.

Look away from the mention of 3000 users, just look away. The topic is about how to connect two separate SE networks - its not saying you have to actually absolutely reach the 3000 user limit before you can use the methodology to link two SE networks. Avaya's thinking is probably that if you have a network connection to link two networks why wouldn't you just add the extra servers and users to one main network until you've reached the limit because your users will get a more consistent experience.

So, if you can manually add the extra IP Office lines between the two networks that the key - not being at 3000 users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back