Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting 2500 Router to old computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsingh7

MIS
Feb 5, 2002
US
I've never had a problem connecting a Cisco router through the Console port to a PC. However, right now I'm trying to connect some 2500 routers to some old PC's, and I just can't get them to connect (Through Hyperterminal).

I connected the same routers to a newer machine, and it worked. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong... I connected the router's Console port to the Old PC's COM Port...because that was the way I used to do it with the Newer PC's I had before. Then I ran Hyperterminal and left ALL default settings, and it didn't work. I tried COM1, then COM2, and it still didn't work.

Next, I looked at someone else's connection, and they told me that I needed an adapter (DB-9 'terminal'). So, I put the Console Cable... one end in the router Console Port, and the other end into the Adapter, but where does that adapter fit into the PC? The only port that it fits in the OLD PC is the one that was being used by the Mouse. It didn't seem right, but I took out the mouse connection, and put the DB-9 adapter into the OLD PC's mouse port. Obviously it still didn't work. What's going on? Can someone tell me what I have to do?

Note:

Can someone tell me if this is the problem... I was trying to connect the Router Console Port to the OLD PC's using a DB-9 Adapter, when all I really needed to do was use a DB-25 Adapter and plug it into the OLD PC's Serial Port. Is it true that with newer PC's you use a DB-9 Adapter, and with the older PC's you use a DB-25 Adapter to connect to a router's console port?

Cisco did not use to supply both of these adapter with the equipment for nothing.
it's just the pc standard's

for instance now cisco only give's a rj-45 cable and a db9 to ethernet cable
it's 1 piece cable no more adapter..
Cisco must think no one is using old 486 anymore .
so if you got any of those adapter hang to them they might proove usefull someday..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back