Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting 2 networks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalisto

Programmer
Feb 18, 2003
GB
Problem:
I have 2 networks, Network A is a group of various Sun Machines. Network B is my main network (mostly windows)

One of the machines on Network A has 2 network cards, 1 of which is used to allow this machine to talk to Network B.

I want to allow another PC on Network A access to various servers on the B network.

Now, from my dim and distant past of networking, I suspect that I need to make the new machine on A take the IP address of the Windows Network card from the A/B machine as the gateway. - What command / files do I need to edit to do this.

Do I then need to enable anything else (IP forwarding for example) to allow the Sun machine to talk to other machines on the main network ? - Again, what commands or files do I need to look at.

Thanks for any help,

K

The default gateway should be the IP address of the Unix Netowrk card from the A/B machine.

On the new machine, type:
route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 someIP
The above command is for test only. To change your Windows' machine's default gateway, you need to go "Start-Settings-Control Panel-Network"

Is the gateway a Sun? If so, run
"ndd /dev/ip ip_forwarding" to make sure if the IP forwarding is enabled (by default YES).

Cheers, problem is, machine to be used as a gateway doesn't support NDD (it is a reallyold Machine), is there a manual way of enabling IP forwarding ?
K

Have you tried the vi /etc/defaultrouter or do you not have that file. It does not have to be a router, just an IP in that file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back