Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting 2 networks: Win2003 & Win XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanios

MIS
Jun 9, 2004
US
Hi: I'm hoping to get some direction on connecting 2 networks. I have a school with 30 users on a Win 2003 server & IP 10.1.1.x and an Admin bldg with 12 users running Win XP server on IP 192.168.1.x. Each have their own verizon switch to get to the internet. The school win2003 server gives out the ip's while the Admin has the router giving out the ips. How can I get both to talk to each other? All PC's will be running Win XP Pro sp-3. On the school side I have a lab with 23 pc's that is running Win2000 server as a print server. I want to get rid of Win 2000 server but need to keep the lab separate from everyone else.
Any suggestions?
thank you.

For starts it would be best to have both locations on the same IP subnets. Once that is completed you can set up a VPN connection between the two buildings. It would be nice to have a static IP at each from the ISP but if not then dynamic DNS will work. You will also need a VPN router if Verizons can't do this, look at a Netgear FVS318.

You will need 2 of those VPN devices on both locations in order to do a Site-to-Site VPN. For site to site VPN you may keep your existing IP Scopes.

Hope this helps.

dberg35: Thank you for your help! I went back to my boss and ran it by him. Now,the change of plans are to have everyone on 1 network - the win2003 server using ip 10.1.1.x. That makes sense to me since we have 40+ users in the school and only 8 in the admin bldg. and we have a 'home run' from the school to the admin bldg whereas we can plug this into the verizon router. It this works, I then have to figure out how to isolate the lab from everyone else.

Get a switch that can do VLANS and that will isolate them from everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back