Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting 2 faxes without phone line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Can 2 faxes communicate together without
going through CO or PBX, just direct cable?

What would be needed to make it happen?
Thanks!

Probably not: neither Fax machine will generate a loop current or ring voltage(functions of PBX). the fax mc will seem like its plugged into a dead line

I ask why do you want to do it?

Don't take my word for it... ;-)

MAtt

I am trying to simulate fax transmission without
the need for external lines. Really, the goal is
to place a TIFF file into an incoming fax queue,
without having acces to the bowels of fax software.

Any kind of "loopback" would do. Simply to fool
the software into thinking that a new fax has
arrived, while it already exists elsewhere.

Any kind of "loopback" fax driver might do as
well, but so far I have not found any. Actually,
this would be even better, as no connectivity
would be needed at all.

Any ideas?

You could connect the two fax's back to back with a battery in parallel (48 volts is the norm but I have used a 6 volt battery. (this provides talk battery between the two.)), now place the doc in fax 1 and take it off hook, next take the second fax off hook, press start on the both. you may have to experiment a little, maybe dial a noumber but fax's are dumb enough that they, for the most part, don't look for dial tone.
I haven't used this lash up for this purpose but I did use it with two telephones to provide a talk path for coordination when nothing else was available. JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Interesting enough I happened upon a possible solution to your request by accident. Send me an email and I'll return a pdf flyer or go to twacomm.com. This is a sample of what you will find:

Description:
Two-Way Ringdown Circuit. Ideal for Inter-System Communication or Demos.

Features:
Compatible with modems up to 28.8K
Precise dial tone
32VDC talk battery
Switch selectable ring cadence
Provides CPC breaks after hang-up on either port
Switch selectable audio attenuation
Provides 2 seconds of precise dial tone after off-hook
Provides ring back signal to calling device
One or two way ring down capability
Jumper selectable ring count
Applications:
Dedicated point-to-point communications (ringdown circuits)
Programming PC based voice products
Connecting dictaphone equipment to Electronic Key Systems
Intersystem TIE line
Courtesy phones
Demonstrating telecom equipment at trade shows, meetings, etc.
Connecting modems together

Marty
mcfly@infowest.com

Viking Electronics makes a ring down device that would work in this application.

You know if you just pick up the headset from the receiving fax and make the wwhhhhrrrring DTMF dial tone signal into the mic with your mouth the fax's will be fooled into thinking their a line connected when their actually isnt... done it b4, it takes a bit of practice

faxcurious,

what fax server software are you trying to do this with? Theoretically, you could simply copy the TIFF file into the directory where the fax software does. If the fax software does a 'dynamic' scan of the directory to determine what files are in it, the it should 'appear' the next time someone looks at the queue.

Otherwise, there may be an API that allows you to insert and remove items from the queue.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back