Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connecting 2 9608's in series with one cable run. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsir4

Technical User
Apr 26, 2007
US
Has anyone done this? On an IP500 I have one Cat6 cable run from a POE switch to an office where I need to add a second 9608 IP phone. I connected the second phone to the computer port on the first phone with a brick power supply in between to power the second phone. It seem to work fine so far; but I was just wondering if this can cause problems in the long run.Thanks.

Can't tell if it works in the long run, but I did the same when I performed tests and it worked very well.

IMHO, this is what we do for fun in the lab, not at a customer.
Run two cables from the patch panel, or have a least a small PoE switch feeding the two phones.

Piggybacking can get nasty. A clean network is what you want, not a spaghetti deal.

Kind regards

Gunnar

Oh, for fox sake!

Star for Gunnaro

Technicaly this will work
in a production environment it will cause no end of headaches making the customer think either:-

1) The system is crap
2) The installer/maintainer is crap
3) Both

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Thanks Guys,time to make an additional cable run.Just wanted to address a "I need it now!" situation.

ASAP jobs are well paid:)
Over here next-business-day-fee is $800 + work and hardware.
(If it's not your own fault)

Happy cabeling!

Kind regards

Gunnar

Oh, for fox sake!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back