Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connectin Apple mac to our file server

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastwood357

Technical User
May 19, 2003
GB
Hello All.

I am a windows admin that has been tasked with the job of adding 3 apple macs that run in there own network to be able to access our windows 2003 file server.

The 3 apples run on there own network, but can access our email system so i assume there is network connectivity.

I have setup a windows 2003 server with appletalk services installed.

How do i now connect an apple mac to that server??

Thanks

Supposing that you have OSX, try the 'Go' menu.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

Well, you mention they are on their own network...
what do you mean by that? IP network? Workgroup name?

IF they are in the same IP space, or avialble over a fully routed subnet:
IN OSX you can use the Go from the Finder menu, or Apple-K
then you can use afp://servername or aftp://ip.address.of.server
or even smb://servername or smb://ip.address.of.server

Additionally, I strongly recommend getting the MSUAM from Microsoft.com/mac. MSUAM is Microsoft User Authentication Module. They come in OS9 and OSX flavors. They support encryption for UID and Password submission (NTLMv2) and support the Change Password feature in the login dialog.

If you have OS9, you'll need the Chooser. Click the Apple in the top right corner, then select Chooser.

But clarifying the own network thing is key to better understanding problem....

Thnaks Rliebsch and Jimoblak

It worked like a dream. basically they are connected to our network, just not jioned to the domain. we went to the go or apple k thingy,(apple person was driving the machine) and then connected to the server using the smb:// option. Entered domain username and password. Success.

Thanks again, you made that easy for me.

Regards

Eastwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back