Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connected to VPN - now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1N3773

Technical User
Jan 7, 2008
GB
Hi everyone, I have a problem which I hope someone can help me with. Firstly, just let me tell you that I am a complete novice where networks etc are concerned, so if you answer, speak to me as if I'm a 3 year old child.... :)

I have been asked to do some Excel work for a company in a different country. They have given me a VPN username, password and site to connect to. I have managed to connect quite easily using Windows Vista's "Create new Network Connection". They use Microsoft VPN. Do I need to install this also? and where do I get it?

The problem now is.....what do I do next? How do I see the files on their server? They store all their Excel files on an SQL server. So do I need to install SQL server on my laptop? What type of questions do I need to ask their tecchie, in order to see the right files (questions that won't make me look like a complete a**hole!!).

I really don't know anything about this kind of thing.....

Any help would be greatly received...

M

i would ask someone on their tech help desk. they may have you remote in to a server, you may have to install sql, or map a drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back