Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connected to VPN but don't see anything 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2006
US
I installed and configured my company's VPN software and it says that I am connected but I don't see anything. What am I supposed to be seeing after I am connected? Is it like you connect and then click on something to start actually using the network that you are connected to?

What kind of network do you have...domain or peer to peer? Either way you would need something like shared doc's, printers or apps.

VPN connects you to the office's network, but your installed apps (like outlook etc) have to do the rest.

Connectting through VPN is as if you're directly plugged into the corporate network. You can use your apps at home in exactly the same manner as you would do at work.

if they have a simple setup with a computer and router...find the ip address from the computer you want to pull from and just go:

Start -> Run -> \\ip address (like \\192.168.1.110)

When the window opens you will find the folder your looking for (it will be shared); All you need to do is right click and create a shortcut to your desktop - so the end result is you have to log in and click on the icon...

FYI - You will have two IP's one will be the server address which is assigned by the network the router is attached to (like comcast, ITCdelta, Bellsouth,etc.) and you will have the IP address the computer (you want to pull from) gets from the router - thats the one that goes into the run box.
-> if its a small office and in house IT, then make sure that the computer you want to pull from has a static IP address in the router. This will save time and make things simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back