Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connected to ISP but can't get a IE Page???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hi all
I'm running an IBM aptiva 400mhz 60meg free ram and 90%resouces free. Win98, IE 5.5. My ISP is AT&T Broadband (cable)

I had a Crash!!! the 14th Oct, and havn't been able to get an IE page on the internet since.

My ISP AT&T Broadband see's my IP address and is satisfied I am connected via cable to the internet. But when I execute IE a white page opens with DNSERROR and fails to open any internet site.

My Internet security ("Norton Internet Security 2001") seems to be working, blocking hack attempts from the net to my computer..but can't seem to display an IE PAGE.. I reinstalled IE 5.5 and still same problem.

Some time back this happened to me (several months) and I uninstalled "Norton Internet Security" and then was able to get an IE page and worked fine from that point on. However this didn't work this time. (I did have trouble uninstalling it. and needed to use McAfee Uninstaller to get it off the system) so if the uninstall frees up something it didn't get a chance to do it this time.

The AT&T techs havn't the slightest idea what they are doing and end up sluffing me off to another junior tech who hasn't the slightest. Then I start this merry-go-round process again.! I mean with AT&T's research & design budget you would think they could hire somone sides a sophmore in HS ,who might have a clue!.

Anyway I would appreciate some ideas on how I can test or turn on/off some settings to get onto the internet short of Zapping my system and starting over. (an 8th grader could come up with that idea, besides the 2 AT&T customer service Techs, I think that's what they call themselves...lol)

Any help would be appreciated..
thanks Russ

To test whether it is a dns problem try to get to by using the ip address, ie (I assume that your isp is your dns server automatically). If that works then a dns problem is favourite, if it doesn't then try pinging the same address to check you aren't being blocked from the internet completely. It could be that McAfee's uninstall has not cleared the registry, so it might be worth searching it for references to Norton (with all the normal back it up first warnings).

Post back with what you find

Hi Paul

I did talk with a AT&T tech again last night. He coached me thru the ping procedure. We tried that didn't work. Then we tried "pepsi.com's" IP address and that did work. so he stated that I do have some connection to the internet but doesn't know why I can't get a page to display.

when I try to goto a web site in the bar along the bottom of the IE Page reports:

"Finding: then when it finds it
"Displaying page...for a second or two. then errors out with
"error.....in Windows\system\shdoclc.htm dnserror"

and finally ends with the white page stating couldn't display the page and to check settings..

This is not an isolated problem and I have had it about 5 times. I had to restore windows 2 times and a "Norton Uninstall" has cleared the problem for me 3 times.

I have "SecondChance" software but that has never cleared the problem, so it must be a program "Secondchance" doesn't backup.

I am wondering if it is a hack that gets thru "Norton Internet Security" or maybe "Norton" itself is the cause of the problem. ??

At any rate I'll search the registry for references to &quot;Norton Internet Security&quot; and remove em.. as far as backup is concerned I have Secondchance installed on my computer and am --> <-- this close to reinstalling windows anyway.

Thanks

Russ

I'd have to say I'm a little suspicious if this keeps happening, that there isn't a problem with Norton. I don't know the program personally, but I suspect the firewall is probably the most likely culprit, assuming the parental control is set up OK. I much prefer ZoneAlarm Pro from (having tried the McAfee versions) but they do also offer a free firewall for download which also works well.

Otherwise the dns settings at AT&T could be suspect, can they give you an alternative webproxy setting to try to make sure the problem isn't at their end?

Hi Paul

I decided to reinstall Win98, if that don't work I'll have to reformat C:.

I do suspect &quot;Norton Internet Security&quot; as I said I had it happen before and that problem made a doorstop out of that system. I continued with my current system until it again happened several months later. I uninstalled &quot;Norton IS&quot; in preperation to bringing my system to local Computer store and I was instantly on the internet. I then did the same with the other disabeled system and that too was back in working order.

I thought I had this problem solved but this time I didn't get a clean uninstall and in fact couldn't get it to uninstall untill I used McAfee Uninstall. That however didn't get my system working again, whatever was cleared/reset with a clean NIS uninstall didn't get cleared with the forced uninstall.

I think I will try &quot;ZooneAlam&quot; my next clean system.
Thanks for your help.

Russ

Hi
I too am having the same problem with IE6 /Win98se, it started today after my PC crashed. I have a cable account also. There are some differences.

I Click on my home page or a page from my favorites,
about 75% of the time I get &quot;The page cannot be displayed&quot; page same as RussFeldman. The other 25% it connects.
Strange thing is that with the error page up if I refresh the browser, it connects just like it was supposed to the first time. Also lets say I clicked on google and then got the error, refreshed and got google then clicked favorites to add it to my bookmarks. It wants to save google or whatever page I was going to as &quot;Cannot find server&quot;. Can anyone help me?

1) Check DNS Settings (obviously)
2) Search for hosts.sam files files on the hard drive and rename them to hosts.old if
found.
3) Clear cache, history, cookies, etc.

Herm. Make sure the browser doesn't say you're &quot;Working Offline&quot;....
and if your DNS is really pooched, you'll either have to the windows reinstall route, or try doing a complete dump/reinstall of the TCP/IP stack.

Also, in your browser, check out your proxy settings (in IE: Tools->Internet OPtions->Connections [tab]). Make sure you're not tunneling through a known bad proxy.

Hiya
I have also had a problem with IE-6 and it is really begining to 'P' me off.
When I open up IE it tells me that 'This Page Cannot be Displayed' also tells me possible DNS/IP error.
There is nothing wrong with my IP. I cannot get IE at all now and its very annoying. I have been through the connections with a fine comb.
The only thing I can think of is when I uninstalled Symantec from the Registry. My OS is Win.2k and I went on a mission to uninstall all disabled programs from the Registry. Also, I used MS RegClean.
Is Norton (Symantec) the cause of all this, I do not know!!
If you get yours fixed please let me know.
Thanks
Vinnie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back