Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connected through VPN and can't print to home network printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

raftaman

MIS
Apr 19, 2005
US
Cable modem connected to a LinkSys router. I am connected to this router.

I connect through VPN to my company's network. I would like to print to a printer thats shared by a pc connected to my router which is not connected through VPN.

Whenever I send a printjob to my printer ,that gets auto-configured by WinXP before I log on VPN, an error displays that it failed to print.

Now When connected through VPN I am unable to ping my local router/gateway. Is it possible for me to somehow be able to print to my local home network printer when logged in through VPN?

You need to allow local network traffic in your client. You don't say what kind of vpn system your company is running, but if it is cisco there's an allow local lan access option in the vpn 3000 concentrator and in the client. Optionally you could have the IT admins enable split tunneling, but it is not advised due to security issues.

Jan

Network Systems Engineer
CCNA/CQS/CCSP/Infosec

is your machine on a domain from your company / I assume this is a laptop ? You should get a 192 ip address from your home network. See if you can ping the machine with the printer attached to it. Then let me know what is going on.

Yes the machine is on a domain from work and it gets a 192 address issued by my home router. I am able to print to it with no problem when I am disconnected from VPN. When I connect to VPN, I am unable to print. I have allow local lan access checked on the cisco vpn client but I think dopehead is right about having this disabled on the vpn concentrator which causes it not to work.

post an ipconfig/all from both machines when you are connected to vpn. Sounds like your default gateway of your home router is being taken over by the VPN DG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back