Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connected but no web page

Status
Not open for further replies.

norton11

Technical User
Jan 18, 2003
KR
Ok where to start? My buddy was installing a wiresless network (D-link di-614+) The install on the desktop went fine. When installing on the laptop (that also has Novell on it) The install went well also and he connected to the new network fine. The next day when he put in the cardbus adapter and started the laptop it went through the new hardware found install again. He went through the install (again) . During the install it asked for C:netware win 95/98 disk 1 then disk 4 ect... He said he tried to click OK but did not work so he clicked cancel. He thinks the files it wanted were cab files. After the second install he can again connect to the network but when a web page comes up it can not be displayed. I checked Network props and it lists two adapters and to tcp/ip. One for each install. In the divice mgr it showes one card with no faults. I removed the adapter and reinstalled so now it showes just one but still the same prob. The card is connected to the network but can not display a web page either by WWW. ..... or an IP address. I can ping both to the card and to the router.I can ping to the internet by IP address but NOT by Everything seems Ok but I think he might have a DNS prob.
I have found this info. Can someone plesae give some advice as to if this would be what I should try.

Make sure you have your OS CD or the correct .CAB files available for the particular version of 98/98se/ME.

2. Remove ALL instances of TCP/IP from Network Properties DO NOT reboot when prompted to do so.

3. Delete the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD\AFVXD

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\DHCP

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\DHCPOptions

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\Winsock

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\Winsock2

4. Reboot.
5. Reinstall TCP/IP.
6. Reboot.

I also found this link with a program that will do the same thing

If this is what I need to do ... When I remove all tcp/ip from network, should i remove the novell tcp/ip also? or just the Dlink. Thanks again for all the help.

The laptop has windows 98SE Any help would be great as it is his wife's laptop and he already has a bad track record

it would not hurt to try what you posted. you have done some good troubleshooting. with that info you now know that it is some kind of DNS issue probably on that computer. can you enter an ip address in the browser and surf that way? try running ipconfig on another computer and get the DNS numbers and enter them in the laptop. restart and try again. hope it helps.

Also, is there a proxy anywhere in the equation. Wireless guru

Sorry about the delay .... I want to thank everyone for your help. As I said this system also has novell on it and I found that even though it showed the right NIC in IPCONFIG and an IP it was using the other NIC so setting the right NIC and renewing fixed the prob.. Again thanks for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back