Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect Zyxel Router to WAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

waylander786

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2006
GB
I have a friend who is renting an office in a complex. The complex has one LAN for the whole building to cater for all offices. They have assigned fixed ip addresses for each office and provide the details and gateway ip address for the office to connect to their router. My friends office only has one data point and he wants to link 3 machines to this.

Due to the design of the office he wants wireless connectivity using a Zyxel NBG334W. In WAN settings on the router I have defined the fixed ip address and DNS Servers, it will not allow me to save these settings and returns error' the default gateway and ip address are not on the same subnet'
the default gateway is xxx.xxx.105.1
the ip address for the zyxel xxx.xxx.10.2

when i connect the desktop into the data point directly it works fine with same settings

as the zyxel will not allow me to save these settings i cannot connect, is there a soluion to this problem?
much appreciated

THANKS,
I have tried all thta but the wireless router will not allow an ip address to be on a different subnet than the primary router

waylander786,

If I understand you correctly, the only thing that needs to know the default gateway is xxx.xxx.105.1 is the Zyxel, EVERYTHING else on his LAN should be looking to the Zyxel xxx.xxx.10.2 as THIER default gateway - once it gets to the Zyxel, the Zyxel does what a router does and sends or should be setup to send all traffic to it's default gateway of xxx.xxx.105.1.

I would think that the Zyxel has 2 Ethernet interfaces with an IP on that side (WAN) of xxx.xxx.105.2 or something else in the xxx.xxx.105.0 network and the xxx.xxx.10.2 on the LAN side!!

If this is not correct a little diagram might help!

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

I have been trying to set it up to have the Zyxel as a wireless access point only and not assign ip to the local machines. Even if i use the Zyxel as the default gateway, i have to manual assign an ip address to it so it will be picked up by the main router and the ip range is

xxx.xxx.10.2 and the main router ip is xxx.xxx.105.1 it will not allow me to save these settings

the main router is not DHCP enabled so the Zyxel requires a fixed ip address in the xxx.xxx.10.0 range

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back