Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect Win 2k and Win NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

fixitplease

Technical User
Mar 7, 2002
Hello,
I have a computer running Windows NT4 with fixed IP adress and fixed domain name (part of a network).
I have a laptop running Windows 2k pro with DHCP and another domain name.
For file transfer purpose I've connected those 2 PC with a cross RJ45 cable. The tray icon indicate that the network is connected but I can't see the computers. What's wrong ?
What must I setup to be able to do that.
If I try to change the "Domain" by a "workgroup" with same name as the 1st computer Win2k warn me saying that I can loose the future access on "Domain". Is it right ? How to turnaround ? How can I use safely a tool like Netswitcher ?

Your IP's are the problem. If your laptop is set for DHCP, it needs a dhcp server to get IPs. Try setting a static in the same range as your NT machine. Then before you go back to work or wherever, set it back to DHCP. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

also make sure your subnet mask settings are the same not necessarily the ip's.....however your workgroup or domain must be the same in order for them to talk as well....i hope this extended info helps also...

<<*[pipe]*Just Another Guru*[pipe]*>>

None of these work !
I tried to use MultiNetwork Manager and try all the combinaisons :
IP adr in the same range / subnet mask
Domain name etc...
Both computers don't see each other
May be something as share/access right ?
Still stucked !
My only workaround is to use Windows commander and parallel port link !!! It works ! but speed is quite slow regarding expected speed by networking!
Thank you in advance for your help.

If IPs are in same range (eg 192.168.0.xx) and subnet is ok (255.255.255.0) the machines should ping each other.

Try a ping <ip address> or ping <name>.
If you can get them to ping, try accessing the other machine by its UNC, eg Start/Run &quot;\\name\share&quot; with the right names. It should ask for an account and password.

If you have a direct cable connection between the 2 machines and IPs in the same range, you should be able to ping. Check to see if your NICs have a lite on them to show connected. Double check your cross-over cable. Sounds to me like either cable or hardware issue.. Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

I just want to add that with some laptops, the system is allowed to put the NIC to sleep to &quot;Conserve Power&quot;. Check this in Device Manager, Expand the Network hive, right select your NIC, and choose properties. If there is a Power Management tab, or advanced, you may find that the system is allowed to put the device to sleep.

Nothing worse than getting all the IP stack straight to find out that the NIC is sleepy!

:)

If pinging the address of the other machine works, then I'd look into installing the NETBEUI protocal. That has often done wonders on small networks that can't find the other machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back