Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect VLAN switches 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giordino

Technical User
Jan 15, 2010
NL
I am completely new to VLANS and in the past few days i have learned alot about them.
But know i have one (simple?) question wich i can`t seem to anwser.
I have two HP ProCurves 1800 24 ports, one of them is allready placed in our new datacenter and completly configured whit a couple of VLANS.
Now another 1800 switch will go to the datacenter and it will the same configuration as the other one.
But know the questions is how do join them together so that traffic from switch 1 VLAN 2 can travel to switch 2 VLAN 2.
The terms of HP are confusing me comparred to cisco`s .

You will need to "tag" a port on each switch. This port will be the one you connect the two switches together and then you will define on that tagged port, which vlans to allow (VLAN 1 is allowed by default). You will also need to define exactly the VLAN number and name on the other switch as well so that numbers and names match up exactly between the two.

HP's tagging of ports is like Cisco's trunking. With Cisco, all VLANs are passed down the "trunked port"; whereas with HP, you define the additional VLANs that are "tagged" to traverse that connection. This tagging has to be done on both switches.

cajuntank is exactly right. I'll try to give a little more explaination.

Let's assume that you are going to put a cable between the switches and use port 24 on each switch.

on switch 1,
from the web interface (not that familiar with CLI)
click on the configuration tab
click VLAN configuration button
now write down the VLAN ID #'s along with all of the VLAN names. These need to be exact!

You can ignore the VLAN ID 1 DEFAULT_VLAN (Primary) unless it is not listed/or the name has been changed.

On switch 2,
from the web interface
click on the configuration tab
click VLAN configuration button
click on the ADD/REMOVE VLANs button near the bottom of the screen.
In the VLAN Name, type the name of the name from your list of the Second VLAN (remember, you can ignore the first one, assuming it is DEFAULT_VLAN).
in the 802.1Q VLAN ID, type in the corresponding VLAN ID from your list.
Now click on 'Add VLAN'

Repeat this until all VLANs have been added to the second switch.

Once you have added all of the VLANs, click on the 'Main Screen' button.

In the main VLAN screen (where you should be now) click on Modify on the second VLAN line.
On the new screen highlight port 24 (remeber this is the port that we are connecting the two switches using).
Click on the drop down arrow next to MODE and choose Tagged.

Now click apply.

Back in the main VLAN screen, you should now see under Tagged Ports for the second VLAN, port 24 should be listed.

Follow these steps for all of your remaining VLANs.

After you have configured all of your VLANs to tag port 24 on switch 2, you need to log into switch one and do the same thing.

These steps will allow you to have traffic from all VLANs on both switches.

Please keep in mind though that on switch 2, no other ports can talk to any other VLANs other than VLAN 1 unless you mark them either tagged (meaning that your servers, or other equipment can know how to talk to VLANs specifically) or untagged (meaning that any gear plugged into those ports will exist solely on the untagged VLAN) for which ever VLANs those ports need to know about.

Also, as a side note, a single port can only exist in one untagged VLAN at a time.

Thank you both for you`re help.
This will certainly help me whit configuring those switches !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back