Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect via ODBC to remote Oracle9 Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

thoxin

Programmer
Jun 5, 2001
DE
Hi,

I have the following problem. Therer is a Oracle9i server, which I don´t know much about and there is my machine, which needs a ODBC connect to the Oracle DB.

What do I have to configure to get a connection? I read someting about Net8 Listener/Services. And an ODBC connection string. I have admin access to the server and sysdba rights to Oracle.

Could someone give me a short summary, what I have to do, to get a connection?

Thanks,
Thomas

The machine need the Oracle 9 client installed..It should install, in addition to the Net8 components, the Oracle ODBC driver ( be sure to check in the install list for it) or you can use the Microsoft one that is probably already on your Windows ( I assume) PC...

The Oracle ODBC DSN for that server needs to configured to use the tnsnames.ora entry on your PC that refers to the instance you wish to connect to..
[profile]

hi,

thanks for the answer, somehow and with your help, i got it working.

thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back