Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connect two subnet with two RRAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bickyatbickyz

Technical User
Nov 9, 2007
GB
rras.jpg

hi,
In the above network what do i need to do so that clients on both subnets can communicate each other. Right now only 2 RRAS can ping each other.

Also do i need to make each RRAS member of their domain.

All clients are Windows XP Professional SP2 and are member of their domain.
Both RRAS are Windows 2003 Server.
Both DC/DNS are Windows 2003 Server.

thank u.

what is the default gateway and route table of a computer at either end of the WAN? Can each machine ping their default gateway? How about the remote default gateway? What happens during a traceroute to the above locations?

What options were chosen during RRAS config? What are the route tables for the two RRAS servers (using the RRAS MMC)?

How do the computers get to the Internet? What does that traceroute look like?

10.1.1.x pcs has default gateway of 10.1.1.254
172.20.1.x pcs has default gateway of 172.20.1.254

rras1 200.1.1.1 has default gateway of 200.1.1.2
rras2 200.1.1.2 has default gateway of 200.1.1.1

i solved it by configuring each rras as "secure connection between two private networks" without demand dial option.

what is the use of demand dial option?

allows connection of a modem or VPN to a remote network.

So, for example if your server detects the T1 is down it can dial a modem and connect at a much slower speed. This might allow you some sort of remote admin capability at least to manage the T1 router. This is worth testing REALLY well in a lab before use. You don't want it to hold on to trying to use the modem.

It also allows Modem Dial in as well, similarly to how it allows VPN dial in. Standard authentication rules apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back