Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect to Work Computer Using Remote Desktop Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAxel

MIS
Sep 8, 2005
US
Hey all, hopefully this is the right place. I'm obviously trying to connect to a computer at work from home.

This is the scenario.

I'm home, on my laptop, going through a netgear router and connecting to the company's VPN- then using remote desktop connection (just the plain ole software that comes with XP).

I can connect to the VPN.

However, when I try the remote desktop connection, I get an error message. Something along the line of "there may be network problems or there may be too many users and the computer isn't accepting anymore connections". I'm using the IP of my workstation (at work) when trying to use the remote desktop connection.

I've allowed remote access to the workstation, I've turned off the firewall from the router, I've even tried port forwarding using port 3389. I still get the same error message.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? If you need more information, just ask. I'm new to all of this. Thanks.

You shouldn't need to do anything with the network firewall/router because you are already inside the network with the vpn connection. This leaves us with the workstation itself. The most likely possibilities are: software firewall, group policy, user account permission.

Is there anything I can do on my workstation at work? Like at the system properties -> remote tab? Or is it something the administrator will have to do?

I thought that you alread did that
I've allowed remote access to the workstation
You need to enable Remote Desktop.

Of the three things that I mentioned earlier:
1. Allow TCP port 3389 through any software firewall that might be enabled
2. Start, Run, gpedit.msc, OK look for any enabled policies that would prevent RD access
3. If your account is not a member of the local administrator group, it will have to be specifically added under the 'Select remote users' button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back