Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect to Windows share from AIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpezeur

MIS
Nov 7, 2002
US
Two questions in one:

Need to know the best way that I can mount a Windows share onto an AIX system using Win2k Active Directory domain rights. Also, the method has to have tech support, not just via the web, whether it be through IBM or another company.

I see IBM's fast connect product, which uses SMB, but it talks about connecting Windows systems to a unix share, not vice versa. I know samba has the smbclient in linux, but does IBM provide samba support (since they are integrating linux into everything)? Running AIX 4.3.3, will be going to v5 by end of year, but need the aix->windows solution right now.

dude,
smbclient is the only solution i guess on you side, from windows to unix system. However, though linux in being integrated in AIX, they havent come out with any formal release that they would support this free package specially samba.

yes, I know I can download sambra from anywhere and setup it up, but my manager will not approve any solution that will not provide 24x7 support by IBM or another vendor. Do you know if IBM will support samba in AIX 4.3.3?

I have the same situation and have not found a supported program to do this. That being stated Samba is VERY stable. It is one of the few time that Micro$oft has released code to allow a proper solution to be created by the open community. I have some clients that have used Samba for a long time without so much as a blip. Not much help with the boss but that is the way it is.

Larry Bennett
UNIX Admin

You can try Hummingbird.com. We have have a big Winblows based presence and use NFS Maestro Client or NFS Gateway product to share between Windows and a Unix system. They offer support as well. I wanted to use Samba as well but everyone here except me was afraid of it because it is open source. Almost everyone here is pro windows. I have no clue why, as Samba would do the share for free and cost offers open source support. My manager made the call, so we ended up with the Hummingbird soltuion. It performs the share pretty well. If you are doing a lot of sharing with Windows clients I would suggest the Gateway product from Hummingbird.
Best wishes
Bobby

The communication between systems will be an AIX server to a Win2000 server, so I'm not sure if Hummingbird is an option. Plus, via scripts on either platform, they want the copying of files over the samba link to be automated. I'll take a look anyway

thanks

The Hummingbird product allow you to use an NFS mount from an AIX or other Unix system and a WIndows system. The Gateway product allows users not to have any software loaded on their pc's. It acts like a Windows share when it is actually NFS connection. The AIX box is the NFS server . The biggest downside to this is you have to install the gateway piece on a Windows server and handle some of the security aspects from there. It does allow your users on both Unix and Windows to run their scripts without having any manual process in place.

If you are already using Samba it does the same thing only its an Open Source solution. Just depends on what your organization wants and expects.

Hope it helps. Sounds like you are trying to do what we are doing though. Maybe not.

Bobby
AIX Certified Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back