Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connect to two different networks at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.

nshenry03

Technical User
Feb 9, 2006
US
I have the need for a computer to connect to two networks at the same time with its wireless connection and its lan connection

reason:
guy i'm doing this for is working on a machine that has a control unit and to program this machine it has an ethernet connection so you can plug into a computer and send over the code. (LAN connection)

guy also needs to access our network at the same time so he can access our files, server, and the internet (Wireless connection)

Another guy is already set up to do this and it works, I've looked at his settings and both are the same, but his works and the other guy's doesn't.

Wireless connection now:
ip: 172.17.17.117
sub: 255.255.255.0
gatway: 172.17.17.1

dns1: 172.17.17.51
dns2: 172.17.17.53

Wired connection now (tried w/ and w/o gateway and dns):
ip: 192.168.0.2
sub: 255.255.255.0
gatway: 192.168.0.1

dns1: 192.168.0.1

I have the same deal and i'm interested in the solution.
I think its just a question of subnet mask,you should read some stuff about that on the net.
It's possible to have to different network that co-exsists if i understood correctly

For the second network just type in an ip and a subnet mask, DO NOT type in the Default gateway or the two DNS Controllers

Hope this helps

Are any of them on a DHCP? I've done this for the accounting department to keep them apart. i have one nework on a DHCP and the other manually entered.

Yes, our main network was on a DHCP, but I think for this to work, where a person can be on two different networks @ the same time, you have to enter in IP addresses rather than having them automatically assigned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back