Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect to telnet ports 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

codeone

Programmer
Mar 25, 2003
US
Alright I have an interesting question. I want to make my own telnet program, but I have no idea how to make it connect to telnet ports. I want to do this so, I can design it to make it simplier to plug in commands. And also to read the output from the servers allowing for a scroll bar. Im sure this can be done, but i dont know if it can be done with javascript. Im very familur with telnet, and all the ports and what they do, and how to work them. So If someone could just tell me how I could setup a script that would log in to any specified port by bypassing the telnet program, or if thats impossible, a way to log into the telnet port, and then to be able to plug in the info and a different port number, so I can check mail on 110, or send mail on 25, etc. That would be great!

Thanks

Code One

p.s. is that all clear?

Code One,

I don't think that you would be able to implement a fully bi-directional telnet client in JavaScript.

You could certainly open an iframe with src as a telnet address, providing a window to receive data into, but the problem of how you would transmit data back would kind of limit any usefulness, IMHO.

Hope this helps,

#include <shameless_plug.h>
P.S. check out my own telnet app (not bad for a Javascript coder, eh?) at ;o)

Dan

Not bad at all! This app, is great, give you the ability to scroll, which is primarly whatI wanted. Easy to config and use. Didn't really check it for bugs, hows it do on backspacing? I noticed also you have to put in the:
To:
Cc:
Attachment:
Subject:
In order to get all that to show up. But I was doing it that way anyway the past few weeks, because it just works better doing it that way. I like how I can save my settings, and also change the ports without exiting the program, it looks and feels like DOS, which is my fav. program windows gave us for free. Very cool program, I think I will just use this instead of making my own. A suggestion though, you should try to setup a template, so the user doesnt have to type in To: etc, for mail sending. That would be a great feature for newer users. Something to look into in the next version.

Again great program!

Code One

No it's in the right place. I meant I seen some programs, that have templates, which the user simplys types in the info, and hits enter and gets placed in the next field. EX.

Template:
To:
Cc:
Attachment:
Subject:
End Template:
Now this is what shows up auto. when the user logs into port 25, and after the user says helo and tells the server who its from and where its going, and types data, the template above is already in place. So now the user types in the To info, From info, etc. The program already inputted the To: and From: for them, I just thought for new people this feature would help them remember they have to put that, or thier mail would look like spam. You know what I mean?
Anyway, I did go back and test it some more, and backspacing is fine. So looks like you did a great job. Thanks for pointing this out to me!

Regards,

Jim

This solution helped solved one of my doubt.

Thank you

Have Great 'n' Wonderful Day ...

Thanks & Regards,
Sankar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back