Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect to Linux via Windows X-Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

manitoba

Programmer
Jan 29, 2004
CA
Hi,

I am evaluating a PC X-Server (Exceed) and I am trying to connect to a Mandrakelinux 10.0 box. What do I need to do on the Linux box to enable a connection?

Thanks

Natively? An xserver listening for connections and
xhost allowing the remote client to connect.
Don't know about exceed in particular however.

I've scripted the entire episode for three interactive
programs(telnet,ssh,and deslogin): if you want it posted
I'd be happy to.

I am not sure Mandrakelinux comes with telnet,ssh,and deslogin. I check the services and these programs were not listed.

I would of thought that all you'd have to do on the linux box is:
export DISPLAY=yourpcip:0

That's pretty much it as long as there aren't firewall issues between the display and the remote machines and the local server allows permission for the remote to attach, via xhost or xauth.

I think Exceed is trying to use telnet to start the session on the Linux box. Telnet is not running. It is not listed in services and I tried to connect manually and failed. How can I verify that telnet is indeed installed. Then, how to I start the telnet service?

To see if it's running:

netstat -an | grep :23

If there is a line with yourip:23 in a LISTEN state, then it's running. It probably isn't since it's insecure and ssh is preferred.

To get it running, first make sure it's installed:

rpm -q telnet

if not install the RPM from your Madrake media/repository.

Then make sure it's enabled:

chkconfig --list telnet

if it isn't, enable it:

chkconfig telnet on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back