Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect to console via Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

laker42

Programmer
Feb 11, 2003
US
Can someone verify that it is impossible to connect to the console of a windows 2000 server? I have tried several things but have been unsuccessful with each thing. I have done several searches on google but haven't turned up a definite answer yet. I would appreciate the help!

Thanks!
John

Go to google. Search for Terminal Services Advanced Client. It will send you to a Microsoft site to download msrdpcli.exe which installs remote desktop on your PC. On your server, go to add/remove programs, windows components, install terminal services, remote adminstration. This will allow you to use the RDP client to connect to the 2000 server.

Thanks for the info but I already have Terminal services up and running on the server. I can connect to it via Remote Desktop but what I want to do is connect to the console session. I know this is possible in win 2003 server but have not found a definite answer for win 2000 server.

John

This is not possible on 2000. It only works on 2003 with the following command.

mstsc /console

or

mstsc /console /v:servername

Thanks for verifying this for me.

I also figured out how to get it to work over Remote desktop web connection against a win 2003 server. It is pretty slick. It adds checkbox option for connecting to the console. I was hoping to get this same option for win 2000 server but we will probably end up staying with PC Anywhere.

Thanks again!
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back