Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect Satellite Office to LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckaspar

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2003
US
I have a client that has two office buildings. They are about 200ft apart across a parking lot.

I need to see what I can use to connect the satellite office to the LAN at the main office.

I was thinking about using a wireless router but I do not want to broadcast the LAN everywhere. I want to have it directed to the satellite office only.

What are my options.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris Kaspar
Independent Systems and Software
Twin Town Treatment Centers

As a preface, I have never actually set this up before, I've only heard about it ... but ...

You could use two wireless bridges for that application. Put one on the roof of each building with directional antennas pointed at eachother ... just make sure you use some kind of security/encryption on the link.

Personally I would use Cisco Aironet stuff, but any number of vendors make bridges/antenna that would work.

Matt Laski
Network Administrator
Pulsafeeder SPO

With regards to the broadcasting part of your question, you can configure an access point to not broadcast its SSID. Other devices can only connect to it if you enter the correct SSID and other details. Hopefully that's relevant to the set-up you have in mind.

Nelviticus

No in relation to wireless, but as a solution if you have line of site and want 100Mb between the buildings why not use laser?

We used it as a backup between two buildings in the past. Very effective.

Also prevents any wireless sniffers breaking into your security.

Laser copes ok in rain and fog - as far as I'm aware. In some areas where there are a number of these services in use and there is a morning dew/fog you can make out the red links.

We only used it as a back up for a fibre link between two buildings.

However, even if distance was over 100m then bandwidth would still be greater than WLAN.

I thank all of you for your comments!

I do have to say though that I am not very familiar with the implementation of either of these technologies. Do you have any links you can direct me to regarding directional antennas w/ security encryption and lasers.

Thank you!

Chris Kaspar

If you have line of site between the two sites, then a wireless bridge is a secure, encrypted link. You could use yaggi antennas so that you are not broadcasting to the entire world.

If no line of site, consider the use of powerline adapters in this instance. If they can work for your site you just will not believe how simple and inexpensive it was to create this link. As one very experienced network guy emailed me last week "Bill I have seen you promote powerline adapters in the past and had a site where wireless was not going to be an option. For under US$100 I had that link up in less than five minutes. It was just unbelievably easy. So, thanks."

I have done more research and have not been able to find any information regarding directional antennas for ethernet use or any information on using lasers.

I did look at the link left by bcastner regarding the powerline network and I don't think this will work in this application because the two offices are part of different building complexes.

Any other ideas.

Chris Kaspar

depending on how much u have to spend you can go with an aironet solution , the br350's with a yagi antannae would work fine and we have that at several locations across the county. now you would only get 11mps across this link but is a cheaper solution.you could also plug in a rotation of WEP keys (we all know how strong these are LOL) so the WEP keys would change on a daily basis and turn off the SSID broadcast so only those that know your SSID would be able to connect to it.
I have also deployed Cisco 1231's with good results but a little more expensive.
If money is no object, I would go with Cisco 1410-K9 radios and then you would have a 54 mps connection across the link. the 1410 solution is on the high side though. we get discounts and they still ring in at 4,000 a radio.

Joe Olivier
colliergov.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back