Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect router webinterface with lower privilege

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciscofanboy

Technical User
May 5, 2010
NL
Hi,

I have a cisco 877 router and I want to connect to its webinterface with an account with a privilege lower than 15. Can anybody tell me if that is even possible and if so, how to do that?
Each time I connect to the webinterface it wants an acount with privilege 15.

OK, let's think about this...

First off, the answer is no, or rather, I don't think so---here's why...what would you want the user limited to? like, just a view and no be able to do anything else? I know that Parser Views can accomplish this for the CLI, and you can also enable/disable certain features of SDM...I came across that CLI set of instructions when perusing security issues with "ip http server" and "ip http secure-server"---either one has vulnerabilities (but SDM in general had vulnerabilities, like cross site scripting, found here: of those web pages (can't remember" showed you how to list all the web features within SDM and create a list, then apply a new list without the features that you would want to remove...now this may lead to some sort of hack to do this for different parser views or privilege level...this would require...yup---MORE research! UGH! Anyway, using a different privilege level would only apply to the CLI commands, like a generic "parser view" (MUCH more granular), so that would not do. "username bla priv 7 secret/password blabla", then you would set up what "privilege level 7" means to the router---which only applies to the router, i.e. access and command limits.

Good luck researching...but that is an interesting thing to lab and research in my down time...wait...what exactly IS "downtime"...I recall hearing that term in maybe a previous life? Kinda like that one "v" word...it's coming to me...maybe, "vacation"? lol

Burt

Cisco IOS Software, C2600 Software (C2600-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4(25c), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: Copyright (c) 1523-2010 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 11-Feb-1539 23:02 by ßµ®†Šß€€Š

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [ÝØÝØMØÑ], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Edge uptime is 469¼

Lol! Thanks for the input. Made me laugh..

But I get the picture. This is way to complicated to be a viable option for us. Will just create the privilege levels and give him the cli commands he needs for the items he needs to be able to modify.

Network downtime... If you don't even know what that is, Burt, then you're the best net admin I know. ;)

To the question, I'm not 100% sure but I don't think it's possible.

CCNP, CCDP

To clearify, mennojd entry is also me.... Seems I created another account in the past on my home laptop.

Regards,
Menno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back