Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connect problem after HD Crash/Restore 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDM2

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2006
I replaced a hard drive on a client's 4 computer Peer to Peer LAN and did a restore of the C drive. Everything is OK EXCEPT that Business Contact Manager, which operates with a SQL Server 2005 (Express?)database, cannot connect to the BCM database located on another Computer on the LAN. User Ids, Passwords, etc. all appear to be OK. This same setup was working fine before the hard drive crash and the other client machines, set up the same way, are connecting to the BCM database just fine.

Can any one give me a clue what to do next?

TIA

What error message are you getting? There's an FAQ in forum962 which cover basic SQL Connectivity troubleshooting.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Under Business Tools in Outlook, there is a choice of select an existing database with browse option or create a database. Create a database works OK on the local machine but upon browsing to the server BCM database, there is a message that it is not accessible to this machine. The other outlook files on the server machine can be accessed OK but I do not think they use a SQL 2005 DB.

I read the FAQ cited above. I can ping the server and also telnet the server port 1433.

There is no Enterprise Manager on my Customer's LAN. The BCM is operating with SQL Server 2005 Express. I'm wondering if the downloadable version of Enterprise Manager for Express could be temporarily loaded to do next check for which port the SQL Server is listening to?

Also, I do not know how to find the SQL Server log in the BCM context.

You should be able to download the SQL Server Express GUI from microsoft.com.

The SQL Server Log will by default be in something like
c:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql.?\mssql\log\errorlog

Where ? is a number.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

[noevil]

Thanks. I found the Error log OK, but there are no errors indicated.

Could this somehow be a attach/detach issue?

No. It's pretty much got to be a problem with the local client as other machines are working fine.

Denny

[noevil]

The "Server" machine has a computer name of "Amy" and the client that has the problem is named "Dion". In the past, the end user on "Dion" created a local database, apparently under the user name "User". That database still backs up as "Dion/user" and that works even though there is currently no user defined on Dion as "User".

When a choice is made to connect to a database on "Amy", the error message saya "Cannot find a user named user", which is true as there is currently no user named "User" on the entire LAN.

"Lightsey" is the Administrative user on "Amy" and a limited user on "Dion". "VanBiljon" is the Administrator on Dion and a limited user on "Amy".

Said all that to ask this: How do I deal with the "user named user"?

TIA

Ralph

This is sounding more like a config problem in BCM, not a problem with the database. At this point you'll probably want to take to one of the folks in the Office forums.

Denny

[noevil]

Thanks mrdenny, I gave you a star because I learned a couple of really helpful things from you even tho I am still looking for this specific solution.

I have posted on the Office forum as you suggested.

I did find the problem in the BCM config. It looked like a bug in the SW. When the user name was changed from "user" to "VanBiljon" there was one place where the name was still showing as "user" and the 'full name' was changed to "VanBiljon".

I changed the name to match the full name and that straightened out the problem.

For whatever it is worth, there were no responses in the Office forum.

Thanks again.

Ralph

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back